Chapter 17

"Gerard, come out into the hall, please," My English teacher called on me. I set down my pencil, flipped my test over and walked out with her.

"What is it, M'am?" I asked.

"Is everything okay?" She immediately dropped the 'stern teacher' voice, taking on a voice of concern, her head tilted slightly. "Your grades are going from 100's to 70's and you're suddenly becoming really distracted in class. You're a good student, Gerard. You're one of the best kids I've ever had. So what's going on?" I felt a leap in my stomach. I knew my grades were dropping, but I didn't know it was this noticeable that something was up.

"Well... My brother just got out of the hospital. I've just been worrying about him. I'm sorry about my work. I promise I'll get my grades back up, M'am."

"Okay, good. I hate seeing good students like you falling out so close to graduation. And I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. Is he doing okay, now?"

"Yeah, he's doing a lot better. I've been taking care of him as much as I can. He should be coming back to school in a couple of weeks," I smiled without realizing.

"I'm glad. Thanks for telling me that. I remember how difficult it was for me in high school when my grandpa was in the hospital. I'll lay off of you for a while, as long as you get off that struggle bus and get your grades back up there. Okay?"

"Yes, M'am. I promise I'll do better," I nodded. She just smiled and we walked back into the class, where I sat down at my desk and closed my sketchbook. I couldn't figure out what to draw, anyways.

~

"Hey, Mikes!" I yelled as I walked into the door.

"'Sup Gee?" He replied from the couch, where he was currently drinking a cup of coffee and journalling.

"Okay good, you're journalling," I thought out loud. "Have you taken your meds?"

"Yep."

"Did you get up on time?"

"Yeah."

"Have you kept the lights on all day?"

"I sure have."

They seemed stupid, these doctor's orders. They were apparently supposed to stabilize his mood, and to keep his depressive episodes in the 'gray area', as the doctor had called it.

"So," Mikey started as he placed his journal on the ground I'm front of the couch he was sitting on. "How's your boyfriend?"

I wanted to lie, to say that I had no feelings for Frank, but my face chose to say otherwise as the colour rushed to it. "We aren't dating," Was all I could muster up the courage to say.

"Really? I spent all that time in the hospital and you didn't even make a move?" Mikey laughed.

"Shut up, dude," I joked.

"Did you get my absent work for today?" Mikey changed the subject. I reached into my bag and grabbed all of the papers labeled 'Mikey' and handed them to him.

"There ya go. Call me up if you want help. If not, I'm gonna go to my room," I said, walking towards the stairway.

~

I liked to draw things that meant a lot to me. Comic book characters, my family, all of the things that've made me who I am. But today, I found it difficult coming up with anything, so I just started to draw randomly and let the picture form as I went.

I started with the outline of a face, and then drew short, messy hair that I'd decided I would go back and colour dark later. Then I drew the eyes. I gave them reflective spots to emphasize just how shiny they were, and I drew long lashes around the eyes that framed them like they were the most beautiful work of art. I'd decided that they would be coloured deep green and brown.