Japan, October 7th 2022

"What do you want?" I met the french driver's blue eyes and watched as confusion flashed through them. I had planned on avoiding him for...the whole weekend but it was just my luck that we would be getting on the elevator at the same time.

"You never texted me back about your track." Worry quavered in his voice.

"I was busy last night."

"Oh, is that why you're running behind today? I saw the McLaren guys leave already and assumed that you were with them."

"I don't have to go everywhere with Lando and Daniel. I took some time to myself this morning...just getting ready and things like that." It was the truth! I had allowed myself time to lay in bed and just stare at the ceiling. Thoughts of Pierre had crept into my mind not only last night but this morning as well. The main antagonist of my thoughts however had been Adrienne. I knew that she shouldn't get blamed for Pierre's decisions, but that smug look on her face just made me so angry!

By the time I had wrangled my thoughts back, texts flooded in from Lewis, George, Daniel and Lando saying that they had to leave for the track. Lando had let me know that he left a bagel and some yogurt outside my door because I had missed breakfast.

"Well...you look very beautiful today." He tried to put some confidence in the words but it was obvious that Pierre knew something was off.

"I'll give your compliments to May, she sent some clothes over." Still avoiding his gaze, silence fell between us and it felt suffocating.

The elevator was too small, he was too close and there was nowhere to go.

The digital screen showed that we were stopping at the second floor. I couldn't take the uncomfortable tension that settled like smoke in the elevator, so I made the decision to just take the stairs the rest of the way down. As the doors slid open, I moved towards the safe, non-Gasly inhabited area. I felt his hand close lightly around my wrist, but the soft concern in his voice is what made me stop dead in my tracks,

"Gige, what's going on?" Unfortunately, the brief lapse in judgment allowed enough time for the doors to close and we began to move again. But, Pierre hit the emergency stop button.

"What the fuck are you doing Gasly? I'm already late." He flinched slightly like I had physically hit him.

"And I'm not? What is going on with you? You haven't fired back at anything I've said, mentioned your song or made fun of my hat!" He gestured and I noticed he was wearing it backwards.

I couldn't make fun of that...he looked good.

Then, Pierre plucked it from his head and showed me the picture of Yuki standing over a stove. In the photo, both Alpha Tauri drivers wore a chef's hat and apron but Yuki's said Future Restaurant Owner.

"Hamilton! The sun isn't even out and I'm wearing a baseball hat! With a picture of Yuki and I cooking!" He said that as if it was the craziest thing anyone had ever done.

"I didn't look outside this morning." He scoffed as I turned my back on him, then lunged for the stop button, but he was quicker. Pierre had traded places with me and was now situated between me and the control panel.

"I'm not starting this elevator again until you tell me what's going on." He crossed his arms and raised one brow obviously waiting for an explanation.

"Gasly, we can't be late! You have practice!" I made another attempt to reach past him.

"Hell, they can have Nyck run this practice. I've done thousands of practice laps and I'll do thousands more. But...I have one shot at this." He gestured between us and my heart broke just a bit more. Emotions bubbled up in my throat,