chapter 4

I woke up and immediately got dressed. I did my morning routine and immediately grabbed my bag, ready to go. I made my way to the kitchen where Sahar already had his jacket on and ready to go.

"Are you ready for today?" he asked as he looked down to me.

I nodded. "I'm really excited but also super nervous." I told him honestly. He nodded. "That's normal. Don't worry, you already know most of the hospital by heart. Should anything go wrong, you always have Rowan and I." He told me with a reassuring smile.

"Thanks big bro."

Soon we made our way to the hospital. The email said to meet in the east wing in Conference room A. Sahar showed me where to go and dropped me off. He gave me a quick kiss on the forehead.
"Good luck today, you got this peanut." I hugged him back and soon he was on his way.

I entered the conference room and saw a few people there on one end. I made my way to an empty chair and sat in it quietly. Eventually, people slowly started to filter in. There were about 15 people total.

Then, the door opened and 7 people walked in. One lady in a suit and folder in her hand, and 6 doctors. "Good morning everyone!" She said with a huge smile.

"Welcome! I'm very pleased you are all here with us today. If you notice, there are only a small amount of you. This is because students with the highest academic honor were chosen. You should thank yourselves for all your hard work for being here."

"This isn't any volunteering program. This is a highly recognized externship that can help benefit you in the future." the lady told us. "Especially for those of you wanting to pursue careers in the medical field, you're in the right place."

"Standing behind me are the doctors you will be working with. I'll introduce them. From right to left, we have Dr. Luke Hemmings- chief of cardiology, Dr. Ashton Irwin- Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Michael Clifford- chief of Orthopedic Surgery, Dr. Calum Hood- chief of Family medicine, Dr. Elijah Cruz- chief of Surgery and last but not least, Dr. Alina Romano-chief of internal medicine".

They waved and each said hi to each of us. They each looked absolutely intimidating.

"How it will work is that each of you will be assigned and attending each week. You will assist them and help out in any way possible. You will also be tested on some knowledge learned. Since this is a teaching hospital, there will also be medical students working with you all. This is a high achievement, so please take it seriously. And lastly, don't forget to have fun." She said with a small smile.

"The list on the wall states who will be your attending." Then, everyone got up and made their way to the wall. I looked for my name.

Safiya Malik- Dr. Calum Hood

I made my way over to him. On the inside, I was a nervous wreck. I was shaking so much. I was so anxious.

Two other girls made their way to him excitingly. They both introduced themselves to him. "Hi I'm Arianna" the tall girl with dark brown hair said. The other girl introduced herself as Cara. He nodded and shook their hands. He then looked to me.

"And what's your name?" He asked me.

"Safiya" I told him with a shaky voice.

"I'm Dr. Hood." He told me as he shook my hand.

"Nice to meet you." I told him and he nodded.

"Let's make our way to our department." He told us.

And soon he led the way.