Chapter Two

It's been several hours since I woke up. I didn't wait for any of our nurses to discharge me from the infirmary. I think I know the health of my own heart better than them, and unless they can somehow repair the emotional damage it endured today, then I don't want their help.

Now, it's nearing midnight, and I'm alone in my room. Well, as alone as I can be with my maid, Sarah. As a noble, I am supposed to have at least one maid to attend to me. It's just how it works, but I don't like the system. I don't like the idea of someone feeling obligated to tend to me, when I am perfectly capable of doing everything by myself. I'd told Sarah as much the moment she'd been assigned to me, and though I'd often shooed her away when it came to dressing myself and bathing, her persistence had quickly worn me down. I agreed to let her touch up my appearance when needed, and it quickly became routine for her to do my hair in the morning, before dinner, and before bed.

So now, I sit before my vanity mirror, staring blankly at my reflection as Sarah braids my hair. Just like my skin, my hair is the shade of freshly fallen snow. In the flickering candlelight of my room, though, it looks a little golden.

Sarah hums a soft tune. I can tell she enjoys tending to me, though I can never understand why. I don't understand how anyone could ever find joy in serving someone else.

"Quiet tonight, Madame."

I meet Sarah's gaze in the mirror. Unlike me, she has a lot of colour on her face, with her rosy cheeks and bright blue eyes. Sarah was born in the isles of Triule, the territory ruled by the Nirnsich house. I've always wanted to visit Triule for their beaches, but Agnarys don't really associate with the Nirnsich. Maybe it's because we differ too much in what we embody. Agnarys pride themselves on their heightened strength and durability, whilst Nirnsich favour grace and speed. Besides, the element Nirnsich represents is water, and any fool knows water does not mix with fire.

"Arrhythmias," I say simply.

She frowns. "Again? How did it occur this time?"

"A hunt. I exerted myself. I got close to catching the hare before my siblings, but..." My chest tightens as that scene replays in my head. "...but I lost anyway."

Sarah clicks her tongue. "You cannot blame yourself for that, Madame. You have a heart condition. The fact that you came close is an achievement in itself."

"Only because I took a shortcut."

"Sometimes brains outweigh brawn."

"I know. I just wish I didn't have to always rely on my head for an advantage."

"We cannot all get what we want, madame." Sarah's gaze locks mine in the mirror. "For instance, if I could have anything, it would be your eyes."

"My eyes?" I blink towards her, then stifle a giggle. "Then you're going to need to ditch your tan and blonde hair. Albinism is a package deal."

Sarah steps away from me. I twist on my hips to look at her. "I'm serious, Madame," she says. "You never see colourings quite like yours, especially with your eyes. I think albinism is beautiful in that way."

I scoff. I hate being an albino. I look so sickly and pale every time I go out into the sun, and half of my senses are dulled because of it. My vision goes wonky when there's too much light, and my hearing isn't as sharp as it should be.

Still, I don't protest as she gently turns my head to face the mirror.

"Just look."

I sigh, but I find my eyes in an instant. They're nearly impossible not to notice, given they're the only colour on my face. My irises are an even blend of pale red and purple, creating a unique shade of pale magenta. In the candlelight, my eyes look a little redder than usual. I know because, when I look into the mirror during the daytime, they appear more purple.