Episode Five

"I'll tell you what, I can start you part-time

"I'll tell you what, I can start you part-time. You keep this place clean and in tiptop shape, and I'll think about moving you to full-time one day. If you work full time, you'll be working nights, and I'll have to make sure you can run the register." Dennis scratched the top of his balding head. "Can you start today? I can train you until you get the knack of things."

I nodded eagerly. "Yes. Thank you so much."

"Don't tell me thank you yet. You haven't seen how messy things can get around here." Dennis said.

I chuckled. "I really don't care. I'm good at cleaning. I'll do a great job."

"I hope so because I'm sick of doing it. I have way too much to do around here. We'll start you off at minimum wage." Dennis stuck a tictac in his mouth and chewed it hungrily.

The front door rang, and I inwardly groaned.

Kaleb. He walked straight to one of the many coolers and pulled out a Mountain Dew. Once upon a time, his favorite had been Pepsi. It must have changed.

"Here. Fill out these papers, and then we'll get started," Dennis said, keeping a close watch on Kaleb.

"Is it okay if I fill them out on the picnic table outside?" I asked as I scanned the application and tax documents.

"Yeah," Dennis gave me a small grin.

Dennis and Hank knew me well. Dennis actually lived in my trailer park behind the Truck Stop, and I thought Hank did too, but I wasn't sure.

"Thank you, Dennis. You won't be sorry." I pushed the door open and went to the picnic table.

"So you got the job?" Kaleb sat down across from me, the heat of his gaze penetrating.

I nodded as I filled out the application. I had no experience, so I skipped that part.

"Are you working on the weekends?" Kaleb asked, opening his drink.

"I'm working whenever they want me to work. I have school, but I'll probably be here most of the time when I'm out." I was happy to be having a pleasant conversation with him for once.

"You're not gonna work here long." Kaleb's words caught me off guard.

I finally glanced up to see his angry gaze. I could almost see the gears in his mind working against me.

"Why would you say that?" My eyebrows smashed together. "Why don't you want me to be able to take care of myself?"

"Taking care of yourself doesn't mean working at a place that gets robbed." He started biting the corner of his lip as he studied my face.

"I want to taste food again, Kaleb. I'm not gonna let you screw this up for me." I went back to filling out my paperwork.

"Food, huh? It's really sad that your mom and Vinny don't buy food, but you should've gotten a job somewhere else." There was a promise in his tone that he was going to somehow sabotage this for me.