Episode Twenty Nine

Thinking about my mother and Vinny, I continued eating my burger

Thinking about my mother and Vinny, I continued eating my burger. Why did she want me to come home all of a sudden? In the past, when I'd been gone for long periods of time, my mother would sometimes make us dinner to keep me home for a couple of days while she was off work.

When Mom was there, Vinny barely looked my way, but when she was gone, he couldn't seem to leave me alone, and I fucking hated it. My mind began swimming with hope like it had before. Maybe she'd finally kicked Vinny out. Maybe she'd be the mother she once was. Or maybe she was checking to make sure I was still alive. There was no way of knowing what she wanted from me, and I didn't want to play the odds game. I'd already done that plenty of times in the past. I knew Vinny was still home. They would probably be together until the day they died.

Eating my fries, I imagined how much better my life would be if Vinny died. I couldn't wait until that day. He didn't deserve to be anywhere near me. I went over excuse after excuse, trying to figure out what to tell my mom so I wouldn't have to go home. I'd been gone so long she could've reported me as a runaway, but I knew she hadn't. My mother hated the police and the government.

Finishing off my lunch, I watched the principal walk through the cafeteria toward the school's entrance. He was about to hand out suspensions left and right, and I couldn't wait. Not only did everyone think that the girls had an STD, but they were about to get suspended for smoking on school property.

I stood and threw away my lunch, stacking my dirty tray with the rest. A few people stood to look out the windows, watching the principal walk toward the football field, and I wanted to jump for joy. My attackers were all going to spend the better part of their week at home, being punished by their parents.

My gaze drifted back over to the football table, colliding with Travis. He frowned at me, but I just looked away, remembering how he'd defended Tanya when he shouldn't have. He and I didn't belong together, especially if he liked girls like Tanya. She and I were polar opposites, so if he wanted Tanya or a different girl like her, I didn't want anything to do with him. I still didn't understand why he'd wanted me to meet his parents so early in our relationship.

When the bell rang, I stayed seated in the cafeteria for a minute, waiting to see if Remmy's group came back inside. I chuckled to myself when they didn't. Their group usually came back inside just before the bell rang. Now I knew they were all in trouble for sure. Were they only caught smoking cigarettes, or were they smoking weed too? Whatever they were doing wasn't a secret anymore. They'd been caught.

None of the girls were in any of my classes for the rest of the day. I'd won this silent battle, and it made me feel better knowing that none of them would be in school for a few days.

I didn't see Travis or Kaleb after lunch until I got to art. They were standing outside my art class, having a heated discussion. When they noticed me, they stopped talking. Instead of asking what they were talking about, I walked past them, not wanting to get involved in their discussion.