Episode Ten

Kaleb pulled his truck up outside the trailer

Kaleb pulled his truck up outside the trailer. "Do you want me to come inside with you?"

"Nah, I got it." I jumped out of his truck and clicked the door closed quietly. This was the first time I was thankful that my mom was gone. I'm not sure how, but my mom usually heard me come inside. Vinny, on the other hand, couldn't hear much over the blaring television.

Sneaking into the trailer was never a problem. Getting out had been the tricky part.

Opening the door slowly, I tiptoed past the couch and froze at Vinny's snore. He was asleep on the sofa, and the television was off. What the fuck? This was a first. The television was always on when he was in the room. Unable to backtrack, I snuck into my room and set my bags on the bed. Wondering if I should go turn the television on, Vinny's snoring stopped.

"River?" Vinny asked in a sour tone. "Is that you?"

Hurrying to find my mini flashlight, I opened my drawer, and suddenly, Vinny was behind me. I could smell him. Shit.

"If you wanted someone to take your virginity, you could've always asked me." Vinny laughed sadistically.

And what the fuck did he just say? Was he still stuck on what happened the other night?

I continued searching for my flashlight, but Vinny flipped the light on. Quickly, I sat on my bed, covering my three empty bags.

"Must be nice to have a sugar daddy with a truck like that." Vinny was still stuck on the other night and his run-in with Kaleb. "Did you tell him about us? He knows you're mine, right? If he wants you, he will have to pay up."

"Fuck you, Vinny." There they were. The words I could never seem to say before they had finally popped into existence. "I'll never be yours."

"As long as you live in this house, you live under my rules." Vinny started coughing as he took another drink of his beer while he searched the pockets in his sweatpants. "And I won't put up with that type of language."

"Sorry," I muttered as I tried to figure out how to get him out of my room.

"I'd say he already owes me money. How many times did you have sex with him? Tell him it's three hundred a pop, or I'll kick that little weasel's ass." Vinny finally found what he was looking for as he took a cigarette out of the pack and lit it.

Mom had made a rule that he was only supposed to smoke in their room, but I guess Mom wasn't home much anymore. Enforcing the rules was difficult if you didn't even come home.

"Where's my mom?" I asked, readjusting myself on my bed to cover up the evidence of my departure.

"At work. Where else?" Vinny puffed his cigarette and pulled up his pants.

"Really? I haven't seen her in weeks. How do you know she's not cheating on you every night?" I asked, trying to get him to leave me alone.

Vinny's eyes nearly popped out of his head before he gave me a confused look. "How'd you know that? Did she say something? Or did someone else tell you?"