Episode Nine

Travis walked me to my locker after lunch, but he didn't hold my hand this time

Travis walked me to my locker after lunch, but he didn't hold my hand this time. He was totally serious now, and I wasn't sure how much I liked it. Kaleb had disappeared when he went to empty his lunch tray. Where had he gone? And why did I care?

"So, what's up with you and Cole?" Travis was asking about Kaleb, and I had no idea what to say.

"We've known each other since we were kids." I sighed, knowing that Kaleb was going to be a problem. Once Kaleb showed up, Travis had lost his sense of humor immediately. Instead of laughing with me, Travis debated with Kaleb about plays and tactics on how to beat their rival team on Friday. Travis and Kaleb were the best players on the team, and they were also the leaders.

"Why do you act like that around him?" Travis asked, making me question how I acted.

Having both Travis and Kaleb near me made me act out of character. Travis had noticed, and I hated how transparent I was sometimes. Kaleb put me on edge. For years, all I had wanted was Kaleb, and I thought he wanted me too, but how wrong I was. Kaleb enjoyed controlling my life too much.

"I could ask you the same question," I folded my arms, unwilling to do a major self-exploration at the moment. I had class in less than three minutes.

Travis nodded before he chuckled and shook his head in bewilderment. "I guess you're right. I get all serious around him."

"Me too," I said, pulling my stuff out of my locker and shutting it.

"I gotta go. If I don't see you before the last bell, I'll see you tomorrow." He said, pulling me in for a hug.

I hugged him back, smelling his shoulder, and damn, Travis's smell did all sorts of things to me. When he pulled back, I was smiling. Not many people gave me hugs, and I liked it.

Travis's smile was full of life as he walked away.

When the last bell rang, I rushed to the bus. There wasn't much time. The bus literally left five minutes after the final bell. I had to hurry unless I was planning to catch the activity bus, which I had done a few times before, but I had work now.

"Riverslut!" Lyla hit my ponytail as she walked by with Jordan behind her. "Come sit with me, Jordan."

I wanted so badly to hit her back, but I didn't as Jordan sat down beside me.

Jordan sent me a remorseful look. "Ignore her. She's a bitch."

"Are you getting back together with her?" I asked angrily. "Because if you are, we can't be friends while you're with her."

"She asked me what I was doing after school." Jordan had a half-smile on his face, telling me there was more to the story.

"Jordan, I saved you a seat." Lyla was so damn loud.

"And?" I gestured for him to keep going.

"And I'm going to her trailer to help her with homework. Her parents are gone for the night." He said.