III

Cheap Ramen and Meaningful conversations
.
.
.
.
.
.

DANNY was an idiot.

I mean that was kind of a a fact of life (he literally went inside an unstable piece of machinery and got himself killed), but now he was feeling like even more of an idiot than he usually was.

He was following a stranger home as thousands of Jazzes lectures and school presentations about the dangers of being kidnapped flew through his mind.

Jason seemed perfectly content with this situation, which only added to Danny’s confusion. This man was just going to let a little kid follow him home? Was this kidnapping? Was he going to try and sell his organs?

Danny side eyed the man next to him, who had pulled out his phone and was seemingly texting someone.

Jason was definitely more intimidating up close, a near six-foot frame towering over Danny’s now even shorter than usual figure. He had short black hair, with a white streak in the center of his head that reminded Danny of his own hair when he went ghost. The man had bluebell eyes, the soft color offset by the sharp way he seemed to look at the world around him.

He looked strong, broad shoulders and thick arms and legs giving the illusion of someone not to fuck with.

Danny really hoped he wasn’t supposed to fight this guy, because there was no chance of winning unless he used his powers, and he really did not want to reveal himself in this situation.

Despite his intimidating appearance, the man gave off a certain sort of air that had Danny’s core glowing with a warm sort of recognition. It was strange, but Danny had definitely dealt with stranger.

So lost in observing the man as the walked side by side, he was startled out of his thoughts as Jason stopped in front of an apartment building.

“This is my stop kid, you can go home now.” Jason said, placing his hand on the door to his complex.

Except Danny couldn’t go. Because this man made his ghost sense go all weird and he couldn’t chance losing the opportunity to get back to his normal body as fast as he could. Plus, he was also very homeless.

“I’m homeless.” Danny said without thinking, watching as Jason grimaced. “So I actually can’t.”

Jason stared at Danny for a second and Danny felt the impulsive need to share more to fill the awkward silence, which in retrospect probably wasn’t a good instinct to act on, but oh well.

“I mean I do have a place where I live but my…” What should he refer to clockwork as? He couldn’t exactly say Mentor or Lord of Time. “… uncle left me passed out in an alleyway and I can’t really go home yet so-“