XX

JON was worried about Danny.

Damian was too, and Jon could tell, but Damian probably wouldn’t admit it oh loud.

But it was already one hour into the school day, and Danny was late, and both Jon and Damian hadn’t heard anything from their new and tiny friend.

But when Danny sauntered into class, handing a tardy slip to their teacher with a bright grin on his face, Jon could tell that both he and Damian let some tension melt away from their bodies.

“What happened?” Damian asked, passing the worksheets to Danny as he sat down at their table.

“Ghost attack, which is bullshit because there aren’t even any convenient ghost portals near Gotham. Shitty Skulker flew all the way here just out of spite, and then lost in less than fifteen minutes.” Danny ranted, before looking down at his worksheet and sighing.

“Skulker?” Jon probed. He liked to think he knew his supervillains pretty well, but ghost supervillains were still a pretty new concept to him.

“Yep. He’s super annoying. His whole shtick is being the greatest hunter in existence but he’s been trying to skin Phantom for like at least two years now and he gets beat every single time.” Danny said, twirling a pencil in his fingers before absent-mindedly answering the questions on his worksheet.

“Phantom?” Damian questioned.

“He’s the town’s ghost wrangler. He’s also a ghost, but not as much of a bastard as most of the others.” Danny said, not looking up from where he was filling out the work sheet with far too much ease.

“Why was Phantom in Gotham? You said there were no ghost portals.” Damian probed some more.

Jon sort of understood. He was only allowed in Gotham for school after he swore not to interfere with villains as Superboy. And even then, he was sure Mr. Batman had him under some kind of supervision.

A new hero popping up in Gotham was definitely going to be met with resistance, especially when his motives were unknown and he was drawing enemies.

“I… have no clue.” Danny’s brows furrowed and he paused his writing. “Probably ghost king bullshit or something.” He shrugged.

“Hearing a lot of chatter and not a lot of working!” The teacher said, and Jon immediately turned his head towards the worksheet he’d barely started on the hide the flush in his face.

“I’ll tell you more later.” Danny whispered, and Jon grinned.