Nurse's office

I laugh in my head as I watch Harper slow down, knowing her tiny legs are probably getting tired

I laugh in my head as I watch Harper slow down, knowing her tiny legs are probably getting tired. Me and Carter overtake her, almost getting to the next obstacle when I turn around to rub it in her face that I'm going to win.

I smirk at her but my smile fades quickly when I notice that something isn't quite right. She looks out of it, swaying side to side before completely collapsing to the ground.

I immediately stop, causing Carter to look at me in confusion. I rush over to her when I see that she's not moving.    

"Harper?" I question, bending down and grasping her face.

"What the fuck happened?" Carter questions, looming over both me and Harper. "Fuck if I know, she just fell to the ground," I reply, feeling guilty that we didn't let her have a break when she asked for one.

I pick her up, her limp arms dangling down as I walk back to the entrance of the woods. She might be sick, she practically weighs nothing and her skin is ice cold.

"Oh my goodness what happened?" Mrs Jones, one of the teachers standing by the starting line asks as we come into view.

"She fainted we think," Carter explains as the rest of the boys approach, looking down at Harper worriedly.

"Here I'll take her to the nurse," Mrs Jones says, holding out her arms. I don't give Harper to her, knowing there's little chance this old five-three woman would be able to carry her all the way across the academy.

"I'll do it," I state bluntly, already heading off the field.  "What happened?" Emilio asks, jogging to catch up with me.

"It must have been too much for her, she fainted," I say, my voice as monotone as ever.

I make it to the nurse's office quickly, glaring at anyone who looks in our direction. I place her on the dusty bed, looking down at her peaceful unconscious face as the boys collapse in the arm chairs in the corner.

"She fainted while doing sports day," Miles explains to the nurse who just now spun around in her chair.

"Right," She says, getting up and feeling Harper's forehead with her palm. "Do you know when she last ate or drank something?" She asks.

I rack my brain trying to come up with an answer for her but come to think of it I've never seen Harper eat anything. She always goes out to eat her dinner early while we go at the latest possible time and she never eats the things she buys in the canteen for breakfast.

"Not sure," Emilio shrugs. "Alright thanks boys, you can get back to the field," She dismisses but none of us move.

"We can't just leave her here, she's new and she'll be confused when she wakes up," Miles pleads.

"Boys the nurse's office is for people with injuries, we can't have you crowding it up when there's nothing wrong with you," She says, shooing us away.