Awake

I gently grasp Harper's hand, softly rubbing circles into it with my thumb as the nurse performs her routine tests on Harper's unconscious body

I remember back when we first met she revealed to me in one of her rambles that she's deathly afraid of needles so I try my best to comfort her on the off chance that she's aware of what's happening right now.

She's been in a medically induced coma for the past five days, the doctors wanted to give her body time to heal because there was a high chance she would have experienced multi organ failure.

At first they were convinced she wasn't going to make it, she suffered from serve hypothermia and the doctors discovered that she most likely collapsed due to malnutrition but Harper pulled through.

Today they're attempting to wake her up and remove her oxygen supply, giving her the opportunity to breathe on her own. 

It could go one of two ways, she could wake up with little to no complications or she might not be able to breathe on her own, meaning the doctors may have to consider taking her off life support.

I refuse to let the second option happen, Harper will wake up. She has to.

The second she opens them eyes I'm going to do anything in my power to get her to forgive me, even if that means literally begging on my knees.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by the feeling of a hand resting on my shoulder, I turn and come face to face with my mum.

"Any luck?" I ask hopefully. She shakes her head solemnly.

My mum flew in as soon as I told her what happened, my dad wanted to as well but he had business to take care of back home and couldn't come on such short notice. 

Nobody could get ahold of Harper's mum until two days after she was admitted into the hospital. She finally picked up and when we told her what had happened she didn't seem concerned at all, telling us she couldn't be here because she's on holiday in Paris.

I cursed her out, realising that she really didn't give a shit about Harper at all but once I found out Harper was going to be woken up I swallowed my pride and asked my mum to try and contact her again, thinking it'll offer Harper some comfort to wake up and see her mother there.

Consider my mum's agitated mood I'm guessing she's not here like she promised to be.

"Alright are we ready," The nurse says cheerfully, preparing to remove Harper's breathing tubes.

"Emi wake up," My mum shakes Emilio who's sleeping on the tiny sofa in the corner. 

We haven't left the hospital since it happened, we're hours away from the academy so I've been too scared to leave her incase something happens while we're away.

The rest of the boys had to return though, their parents wanting them back in the safety of the school which obviously didn't go down well. Miles was dragged out practically kicking and screaming.