Chapter Forty

We're gradually getting to the end of ISWAB!🎉

Bryson's POV

Ruby still hadn't showed up in school and Zemela was having way more effect on me than required-it's still a pain for me to accept.

Nolan pinched my shoulder lightly as he came to sit beside me in the school's empty gym-because classes were going on.

"Ruby called to inform the school about her whereabouts last week" he informed me.

I looked at him, "where has she been?"
"Kentucky" he replied.
"Her mother is suffering from heart failure" he stood up, "she had to go take care of her" he bounced a ball.

"So? She lives with who here?"
Ignoring me he passed the ball to me.
"C'mon" he gestured for me to come.
"She lives alone here, her whole family stays in Kentucky" he said.

I dribbled past him, "that's sad" I paused holding the ball, "but fun" I smiled, "I wonder why she doesn't party every weekend"

He agreed with a nod.
"She's coming back right?" I asked getting my hopes high.

He remained quiet for a while, "I think so, she wouldn't abandon her scholarship here"

I threw the ball down and started walking away.

I turned to look at my best friend when I didn't hear his foot steps behind me. He was standing there giving me a 'areyouokay' look.

"I wouldn't get her contact information by bouncing a ball, now would I?" I asked him. He shook his head, sighed then smiled, "I'm happy to see you're finally growing mature and not running away from your problems"

After an almost endless search we got her contact from a girl on the team with her.
We returned to the gym to ring her.

She picked after a couple of rings, "Bryson?" Of course she has my number.

"Err...yeah"
"Wow!" She chuckled surprised I called.

"You need help with Zemela don't you?" She asked before I spoke.
"The others told me everything"
"Oh" I let out.

"So, you really need help?"
"Yeah" I nodded, "she...she hasn't been talking to me"

"Have you tried talking to her?"
"Your friend are pretty protective" I shrugged not knowing why I haven't actually tried to talk to her.

"And....is any of that bad?" She asked
"Any of what?"

"Them protecting her from you, she not talking to you, is it bad?"
"Is she meant to talk to you after everything or do you expect them to just let you hurt her again, they all have history with you and they've seen what happened to others too"

I so much hated the way she sounded.

I inhaled, "I didn't do it intentionally, okay?"
"I was drunk"

"So, what do you need or want?"
"I need you to talk to her, she'll believe you"

"And what makes you think I believe you?"

Right.

"You know me, I wouldn't be asking you to talk to her if I were at fault. I wouldn't go back to a girl I hate that much, I wouldn't lie also"
She remained quiet for a while, "do you like her?"
"Yes"

"Do you love her?"
"Love is a strong word but, I like like her" I said.

She sighed and remained quiet again.
"I'm not promising that I'll talk to her and I can't promise you that she'll listen. All I'm going to say is that if you don't mean any of this like like or care or what so ever then just let her be. You've done enough, she's been through enough because of you, she'll definitely remember you. I'm pleading with you not to hurt her Bryson. Don't do it, so before anything else if you know you don't like her don't make me talk to her"

"I mean every word" I lied, though it didn't feel like a lie.
"Okay then, good bye"

"Ruby,...thanks alot and..I wish your mom good health"

"Thanks, bye" the line went dead.
"She still likes you" Nolan said.
"Who? Ruby? Yes, I guess"

"You think she'll end up like Skyler?"
"She seems different and more genuine"
" I pray she is"

"Wo man!" Nolan laughed.
"What?"
"You really learnt alot from Zemela. When did you start praying?"

"Everybody prays"
"Everybody except you" he laughed.
"It's not funny" I said
"It is" he laughed.

"Laugh to death then" I said, annoyed with his laughter I placed my headphones in my ear and blasted my music drowning out any remainder of guilty feeling in me for what I'm about to do.

From now on, I won't think before I act nor, would I overthink after acting.

+

This chapter is a filler chapter.