Chapter 19 'The Grandpa'

I turned around to see Ivy walking towards me with wide open arms. "I thought that I smelled. . . Er, I mean, heard you." She laughed nervously as she stumbled over her words. "I'm so glad that Xavier was able to track you down and convince you to come."

"Thank his sister," I muttered as she pulled me into a hug. "She's the one that found me and wouldn't take no for an answer."

"That makes more sense," Ivy said shaking her head lightly as she leased me from the hug. "I should have guessed that first. Cecelia has always been the more blunt out of the two Black siblings."

"Xavier." An unfamiliar voice called out.

     I felt Ivy tense quickly next to me at the sound of Xavier's voice being called out.

I looked away from Ivy to see that an elderly man was now standing beside Xavier.

He was just a little shorter than Xavier and dressed in classic 'grandpa' wear: some khaki-coloured corduroy pants, a green and white checked long-sleeve button-up shirt, and he was leaning on a wooden cane.

"Hey Grandpa," Xavier greeted the man happily. He gave him a quick side hug before jerking his head over to me. "I didn't thank that you'd be here tonight, Dad mentioned that you've been busy lately."

Huh, so I guess this was Xavier's grandpa who he loves so much and was always talking about.

"I thought that I might stop by for a few minutes so that I could see my favourite person," he glanced behind him quickly before going on. "Don't tell your sister I said that though."

"Oh, I'm sure that you'll tell Cecelia the same thing when you see her later."

"Ahh, you know me too well," Xavier's grandpa chuckled light-heartedly at his grandson's playful comment. "And who is this young lady?"

"Grandpa, this is Addison," Xavier introduced. "And Addie this is my grandpa."

"Oh, yes, of course. Your sister was talking my ear off about her the other day when I came by for dinner."

"It's so nice to meet you," I said, brightly, taking a few steps forward and stretching my hand out. "Xavier has only told me a little about you, but that's only because he's been too busy lately to tell me anymore."

He looked down at my outstretched hand before looking back up at me without ever even taking a step forward to heap it. "And here I was beginning to think that you were just a figment of Cecelia's wild imagination," he said. "It's very nice to meet you, Addison."

I dropped my hand and quickly tucked it back behind my back.

"I should have already known that Cece said something about, Addie," Xavier went on.

Ok, so either Xavier's trying to fill in the awkward tension that just happened of his grandpa straight up rejecting my handshake? Or he somehow didn't even notice what just happened.

"Uh-um." Ivy cleared her throat from behind me.

I had completely forgotten that she was even there; I practically jumped out of my skin at the sound of her voice.