xvi (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

When we leave my apartment, I'm surprised by how dark the sky is. On my way home the sky was still up and bright in the sky, meaning I cried for hours.

What is the time?

Hailing a cab, one stops and we climb in the back seat. Gladis rattles her address to the driver and he drives off.

"You told me you'll tell me what happened in the office that made you quit." She sounds hesitant, "If you want to." She adds

I lean my head on the window, letting the cold seep, I feel so warm, due to crying too much. "I overheard him and Bryan talking, he has been sabotaging me all this time."

She gasps shocked that Mr. McClain would do something has wicked as that. "Why would he do something like that?"

"I don't know" I shrug, not wanting to know.

"I'm sorry for what he did." She apologizes carrying my hand in her warm hands, she squeezes it. Just like when she did when she apologized this evening, afternoon, not sure. She sounds sincere.

"It's his fault not yours." I put out, not wanting her to feel guilty about it.

"I feel bad for not supporting you when you came to me to complain. I feel like such a bad friend." She confesses looking guilty.

I didn't like that. She shouldn't be the one that should be feeling guilty, it's supposed to be my asshole ex-boss. "Still not your fault." I repeat, leaning my head on her arm. "Don't feel guilty over it."

"Ok."

×

Gladis greets the building manager a has we step into the looby. The woman looks no younger than 40, no wrinkles in sight. Her greying hair tells me otherwise. She packed it in a tight bun, not a stray hair in sight. She is wearing a blue button shirt and a black waist coat, a scarf around her neck. Even though she is old, she is still pretty.

I nod at her as we walk to the elevator, she nods back. Gladis had told me that they fixed it a day later after some of the residents complained.

'it doesn't have any glitch again' she had told me.

We enter the elevator, Gladis press the button 3 is engraved on, it ascends up and stops on the third floor. The door parts open, she step out first and I follow. We walk to her door, she brings out her keys from her sweatpants pocket and unlocks her door surprisingly without any struggle. She enters and I follow her closing the door behind me.

"Welcome to my humble abode." She states heading to her kitchen, it is very nice kitchen just like the rest of the her apartment. It is well equipped. Most of her kitchen appliances were still in it's package just like the last time I was here. She drops the paper bag on her steel island.

"Thanks again for allowing me to stay here." I tell her really grateful to her.

She smiles softly at me. "It's no big deal. I need someone with me in my apartment, it's big for only one person." She tells me. "Ok lemme show you the room you'll be using."

She walks to where I'm standing in the living room and passes me to the door that leads to her bedroom and guestroom, I turn and follow her, she pushes the door open, walks in and I walk after her. The guest room is at the end of the short hallway. Her bedroom is at the other of the hallway.

She twists the door knob and pushes the door open. The bedroom is simple and plain. The beddings is black. There's a nightstand with an alarm clock on it just besides the bed. There's a closet which makes me like the room, there's another door which I assume leads to the bathroom. I take a step into the room, the walls are painted white which contrast with the black bedding and the other furniture.