xix (edited)

This chapter was thoroughly edited.

[[|]]

I feel my bed moving up and down and I hear giggling,it sounds like a little child's voice but sometimes I imagine things when I'm asleep.

"Mummy, Aunt Gladis, there is a pretty lady in the guest room," the kids voice comes through again. Mummy? Aunt Gladis? What's happening?

"Leave that room Vani," I recognize that voice anywhere, it's Gladis. She is yelling.

"No," the child's voice comes again sounding very defiant.

I hear the door open, "Vani please let my friend sleep. She had a rough week." Gladis voice comes again sounding very gentle.

"But she looks so peaceful," the kid says but the bed stops bouncing.

"That's the reason you're not supposed to wake her up," Gladis says, scolding the child.

Another voice comes through, "Vanity Marshal Casey-Grant come, let's go watch your favourite movie, the Adams."

"Ok," I hear a thud and the weight leaving my bed.

"Thanks," Gladis voice sounds relief.

"I always use that and it works, it stops her from doing things," the other voice says, I notice the emphasize on things. Weird...

"Mum, Aunt Gladis come and watch it with me," the kid's yell then I hear two foot step pad out of the bedroom and the closing of the door.

After they leave, I slip back into a state of unconsciousness. I don't hear anything and I only see a vast amount of darkness.

I wake up, my lips curved in a smile. I push the comforter off me, getting out of my bed. I check the digital and see it is some minutes past 12. Gosh, I have slept for 16 hours. Which is so unlike me but this week at the cafe has been so busy. I had to deliver to people who ordered and also I attended to kids, parents brought in and let me tell you there was a lot of mess to clean. And to top it off I had to endure Mr. Reeks and his yelling. I deserved those hours of sleep.

I walk to the bathroom and splash some water on my face, then brush my teethes before stepping out. I'll bathe later if Gladis has any plans for us to go out. I check my outfit, I'm wearing a jogger and a hoodie I stole from Marcel it's so comfortable and the fabric is do cool on the body. It's a college hoodie, NYU, the same college I went to but I never really shared the school's spirit, so I never bought and I regret it.

I'm comfortable with my look, I leave the room to the living room, I push the door separating the bedrooms from the living room and step out. I see Gladis on the sofa with a little girl and a lady that looks so much like Gladis except from the color of her hair which was brownish red, she also like the little girl, so I'm assuming the lady is one of Gladis' sister and the little girl her daughter.

Gladis notices me and smiles, I smile back. The other two are so immerse in the show they are watching, unaware of my presence.

"Good morning," I greet, the lady looks up and sees me, she smiles.

"Shush," the girl says not even looking up at me, the lady purses her lips looking amused at her daughter.

"Don't mind my daughter. I'm Joy, Gladis favourite sister," Joy announces, her smile remaining on her face.

"I think I get to decide that," Gladis pipes in.

"All of you, shush it," the girl demands, we stay quiet, the only sound coming from the tv, of a girl talking.

"Ok. That's it," Joy says grabbing the remote from the coffee table and switching off the tv.

"Mum," the girl whines, looking at her mother like she stole her candy.

"Yes, Vani? You've watched this movie like a hundred times already and you need to stop watching that movie," Joy tells her.

Vani looks confused, her mouth hangs opens before she gets herself, "Mum you're the one that told me to watch it."

Her mum blinks, she has a thoughtful expression on her face, trying to remember something, "Yes I did but we've company now."

It's cute to watch the mother and daughter interact.

"Who?"

Joy points at me, I smile at her when the girl turns to look at me, she beams widely. "Hi." For a girl of about 8 or 9 years, she's devastatingly beautiful, she had dirty blonde hair packed in a high ponytail, her eyes a beautiful mix of blue and green and her rosy pink lips stretched in a smile.

"You're the pretty lady in Aunt Gladis guest room," she states, I nod. She turns to her mum, "I told you she's beautiful, didn't I?"

Joy rolls her eyes, not even bothering to be subtle about it, "I've a pair of two working eyes Vani."

She lifts her small shoulder in a shrug, getting down from the sofa and walks to me, "Will you be my friend?"

I look at Gladis for permission, she nods, then I look at Joy, who is smiling fondly at her daughter. I squat to her level, "Yes. What's your name?"

"Yay!" She exclaims, happy at my answer, she wraps her hand around my shoulder and I smile wrapping my hand around her too, she releases and I do the same. "My name is Vanity. What's your name?"

"I'm Gbemi."

"I won't be able to pronounce it so I'll call you Mi." I like this girl, she says everything in her mind. She is confident. I guess that's why children are so better than adult, they'll always speak their mind and we adults that say and hide everything with a smile on our face.

"Ok," I agree with her, liking her nickname for me.

Hey guys,
sorry for the late update, I'm seriously should have had a chapter typed already but I procrastinated thought last week and when I wanted on Monday I wasn't feeling up to it. I promised myself to do it on Tuesday but I had plans that day and thinking I'll be home before the next day, but life had other plans I slept over at where I went to.

Thanks for all the reads, I'm grateful even more than grateful. When I started this I never thought it'll reach 200 reads, talk less of 800 and I thank y'all for my book is doing this well. I couldn't have done it without you guys.
Thank you so much.