42 - Break Up

Wiping the sweat off my brow, I slung a rag over my shoulder after cleaning what had seemed to be the millionth table this shift. After the day I'd had at school, I picked up a double shift at work in order to distract myself. Now, my mind was preoccupied with the new task at hand—training the new busser, a girl named Jayla. I had been assigned the responsibility by my boss, who apparently trusted me enough to show her the ropes.

"Hey, Jayla! Over here," I called out, motioning for the girl to join me at the front of the restaurant. Jayla scurried over, her brown eyes wide with curiosity and nervousness.

"Okay, now that the manager's finally gone, I can actually show you the ropes," I said, glancing at Jayla. Her dark eyes grew wide, a mixture of surprise and excitement flickering across her brown skinned face.

"Most of us workers do things we're not supposed to. Little shortcuts and tricks to make the job easier. But this stays between us, okay?" I said.

She nodded eagerly. "Of course, I won't tell anyone."

I nodded with satisfaction. "Good. Well, for starters, you can tie your hair back if you want. No one actually leaves it down unless the manager's around."

"Oh, thank God," she sighed in relief, immediately sweeping her long butterfly locs into a ponytail. "Why does he insist we leave it down?"

"He thinks it looks more attractive to the customers," I rolled my eyes. "Personally, I think it's unsanitary."

Jayla giggled at that, before eagerly following me as I grabbed a stack of dirty plates and walked to the back of the restaurant.

"Over here is where you put the dirty dishes, but try not to let Ricky catch you."

"Who's Ricky?" she asked in confusion.

I didn't need to answer the question, for just as I placed the stack of plates at the sink, a short and tanned man wearing a dirty apron came hobbling over.

"Dios mío, here you go giving me more work to do," the man pretended to faint.

"That's Ricky," I cast Jayla a pointed look. "He's the dishwasher, but he gets mad whenever he has to clean dishes, even though that's literally his job."

I purposely said the last part loudly, causing Ricky to roll his eyes.

"Hijo de puta," he spat as he angrily began to scrub the dishes.

"Thanks," I cast Ricky a dimpled smile before walking away.

"I don't think he was complimenting you," Jayla grimaced from behind me.

"Trust me, I know," I chuckled. "The more unbothered you act, the more angry he gets. Look at him, he's practically turning into a tomato!"

Indeed, Ricky's cheeks were violently red as he continued to cuss me out underneath his breath in Spanish. Jayla and I giggled at this.

"Wow, you're way cooler than I thought," Jayla admitted as we walked out of the back, looking relieved. "I was nervous you'd be uptight, with how smart you are and all."

I raised an eyebrow, a hint of confusion flickering across my face. "What makes you think I'm smart?"

Jayla bit her lip, and her voice was laced in embarrassment. "Well, um, I've seen you around at school, Daisy. You and your group are pretty well-known."

My mouth popped open in surprise, and a pang of guilt hit me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you go to Oakland High."

How had I never noticed this girl before? I prided myself on being observant, but I guess I had been too absorbed in my own world lately.