43 - Regret

ELIAS' POINT OF VIEW

*****

It had been two weeks. Two weeks since Daisy had broken up with me. Two weeks since I'd last felt her touch, heard her laugh, seen her smile.

I knew that I'd ruined her trust, but I was determined to gain it back. I didn't just want her. I needed her. She made life better... easier... happier.

Today, I'd decided to skip school in order to fix up her car. Back when we were together, I remembered that she'd been complaining about it for weeks. I knew she didn't have the money to take it to the shop, so I figured this was the least I could do to lighten the load on her just a little. With my sleeves rolled up, a grease-stained rag in one hand, and a determined look on my face, I continued to fiddle with the engine as I finished up with the last touches.

"What do you think you're doing?"

She was here. School had probably just ended. Immediately, I felt like jumping for joy. It was honestly embarrassing, how badly I craved her presence.

"I'm fixing your car," I replied calmly, not looking up from my work. "You've been complaining about it for weeks, and I thought I could help."

My eyes flickered up to finally meet her own. For a moment, everything around me disappeared.

Her clear, dark skin was slightly dewy from walking underneath the scolding sun, and her curly hair had been tossed into a high bun which accentuated her heart shaped face. She was so effortlessly beautiful, and if she'd let me, I would stare at her all day. I saw as her eyes slightly  softened after my words, likely touched by the kind gesture. However, she quickly cleared her throat and cocked an eyebrow.

"You think you can buy me over by fixing my car?" she said, voice uncharacteristically cold.

My face fell, and I sighed, putting down the rag. "I'm not trying to buy you over, Daisy. I care about you, and I just wanna help."

She folded her arms across her chest, meanwhile my eyes carefully inspected her every move. "Help? This doesn't solve anything. We still had a fight, and you can't just fix things with gifts or favors."

I stood up, frustration now evident in my voice. "Do you even know what today is?"

Confused, Daisy slowly shook my head.

"It's our one month anniversary," I replied, before adding, "or, at least, it would've been."

Daisy looked taken aback for a moment. As my words sank in, I knew we both felt a sense of longing for what could've been. For what should've been. Nonetheless, Daisy cleared her throat, and I could visibly see her resolve harden again.

"Yeah, if only you didn't have to ruin everything," she said, before turning on her heel and walking onto the front porch of her house.

I adamantly followed after her, my exasperation growing. She was so stubborn, even more so than me. "Quit playing innocent. I'm not the only one who's lied before."

"That's not the same and you know it."

"Isn't it?" I challenged. "You lied to me about how your father died, and if it weren't for Heather exposing you, I wouldn't have even known the truth."

From the way Daisy pivoted around and the stunned look on her face, I knew I'd struck a nerve.

"You know what?" she shook her head. "You're right, Elias. I did lie to you. But after everything finally came to light, you had the chance to come clean too. Instead, you chose to continue lying, even after we promised not to keep secrets from each other. Even now, you're not exactly rushing to tell me the truth, are you?"