02

We pulled up in front of the bar, Annabel grabbing my hand before I could get out

"Last chance to back out." She said, staring at me intensely.

"Last warning to stop babying me." I replied, giving her a cold, hard stare. I was tired of Annabel treating me like a child. I wasn't a child. I got out of the car and threw my bag over my shoulder, walking into the bar confidently.

The first thing that hit me was the noise. There was bad music blasting through the speakers on every wall, leaving the customers to compete with the music by yelling to their table mates. The smell came next. It was a mixture of stale beer, deep fat fryers, and sweaty men. It was a smell I thought I wouldn't smell again after my twenty first birthday. In all honesty, I didn't miss it one bit.

"Annie!" I snapped out of my state of disgust at the sound of my sister's name, spotting a woman I'd guess to be a little older than Annabel. She waved from a long table, several women sitting and chatting.

"Leslie!" Annabel said exuberantly, taking the lead. I followed after her slowly, doing my best to squeeze through the bar stools without touching any of the patrons.

"It's so good to see you, Annie! We've missed you at the past few games."

"Yeah, well the kids have been taking up all of my time. Anyways, Leslie, this is my sister, Eleanor. Eleanor, Leslie is Gordon's wife."

Leslie looked between Annabel and I, smirking a little. "I didn't know you had a sister."

"Nice to meet you." I put a hand out to give a handshake, but Leslie grabbed me tightly, patting me on the back a little. She leaned back, holding me by my shoulders.

"I see why you don't bring her out. Afraid she might show all of us up, huh?"

Annabel laughed as I only blinked, a little shell shocked. "Well we're already married. We're allowed to look terrible now that we've tricked someone into settling down with us. Eleanor's still got a few more years and has to put them to good use."

"You've got that right." Leslie said, looking me up and down. "Using these years well. How old are you, honey?"

"Twenty three." I said automatically, still a little shell shocked. I didn't know anyone who was so touchy feely, save for some creepy dancers and teachers, and it was freaking me out a little. I liked my space, and this woman was very clearly in it.

"Damn, what I'd give to be twenty three again. Anyways, come sit down." She dragged me over to the table, where Annabel was greeting the few other women. "Sit here." She said, pushing me down into one of the chairs.

"Girls, this is my sister, Eleanor. Eleanor, this is Jen, Brad's wife, and Lola, Sam's girlfriend." Annabel gestured to the two women, sitting at the table.

"Hi." I said, unsure of what I was really supposed to say. I didn't often do these kind of gatherings. In fact, this would be my first gathering with all of Joe's teammates. Lovely.