07

I spent the next week or so hovering between letting go of my annoyance toward Loren, and just focusing on work instead of friendship

I spent the next week or so hovering between letting go of my annoyance toward Loren, and just focusing on work instead of friendship. Stefano had been riding my ass since the opening of Cinderella, and Brandt still had his panties in a bunch over my partnership with Paolo. I had a lot to focus on. It had crossed my mind that I was in the position I was now because I'd let myself get distracted - by Loren, and Andrea's petty bullshit - and I wondered if stepping back from it all was a good idea. Granted this week I'd spent pretty much alone wasn't improving my face or my trust in Paolo, but it was a start.

Plus, the auditions for Swan Lake were coming up this next week. With my good (depending on who you asked) run as Cinderella, I was a shoe in for Odette/Odile. So long as I danced well in the audition, I was likely to score the role, it was just a question of which cast. Maybe if I avoided Loren until after the auditions...but what if that screwed me up even more? Cinderella closed two days before Swan Lake opened, and with that close of a gap, what if I messed up?

Clearly fate didn't like how long I was taking to make up my mind.

"Hi."

I glanced up from walking back to the company from the Filmore. Loren stood in front of me, clearly still finishing his workout.

"Hey." I responded, albeit it wasn't the kindest "hey" I'd ever said.

"So I've been meaning to talk to you. Can I walk you back?"

"I guess." I picked up walking again and Loren fell in step.

"I wanted to apologize for what happened last weekend." Of course Loren was apologizing. There wasn't a mean bone in his body. Sure, maybe he didn't have a backbone, but there weren't any mean bones.

"Loren-"

"No, let me finish. I've been planning this out for a week." He took a deep breath. "I know that agreeing with Mikey - even if only to pacify a relationship I am required to have until one of us gets traded - was a direct insult at you. My behavior was short sighted, and I failed to realize what it would cause between us. For that I am truly sorry."

The air felt thick between us and I didn't like the mood. "So you're sorry for hurting my feelings, but not for laughing along?" I didn't mean for the question to sound as bratty as it did when it came out. God, I was bad at making jokes.

"Sorry." I corrected before Loren had to apologize again. "I was trying to make a joke. I'm not good at that, I guess. I appreciate the apology. I may have slightly overreacted that night. It's not like you're going to tell off your coworker."

"Well I am sorry." Loren apologized again as we stopped in front of the company. "It was very uncool of me."

"You've got that right." I replied and we both smiled. "I guess I'll see you around?"

"You'll see me tomorrow? For lunch?" Loren opened his mouth in a funny, encouraging smile and I rolled my eyes.

"I guess. But don't push too much. I've got a lot on my plate right now."