06

After curtain call, I returned to my dressing room, happy to pull off the godawful tutu

After curtain call, I returned to my dressing room, happy to pull off the godawful tutu. I would've been even happier to put on regular clothing, but there was party celebrating the opening show in just an hour's time. Normally, I would've made some excuse and run off, but the event was for the donors (and press), who spent a fortune to keep us in business, and I had to be polite and stand on Stefano's arm while strangers fawned over me.

I kept my hair up because I'd used way too much hairspray to try and put it down, but I let it into a low ponytail, which suited my long hair nicely. I changed into the dress Annabel had helped me purchase months ago, happy that it had straps to hold it up, since clearly the low back wasn't going to be of any help. After wiping off all of my makeup and reapplying a normal amount, I was happy with my appearance. The dress was silk and looked nearly like a slip, but the saleswoman had assured me it was meant to be worn as an evening gown. The deep blue color complimented my pale skin (no tan lines were allowed in ballet), and with only a pair of diamond studs, I looked the opposite of Cinderella with her big, white dress and decadent style. It had been the goal, and I was glad to say it worked.

I had brought two pairs of shoes in case of emergency: one with a high heel, and one with a lower heel, and I opted for the higher one, knowing it would make my butt look good, and my feet didn't hurt enough to justify the lower heel.

When I was finished getting ready, I tossed my phone and wallet in a silver clutch and met Stefano just before the side door exit. He dragged his eyes over me before nodding approvingly. I was a little proud that I'd made a good choice, but also a little annoyed, since the attention I craved from Stefano was approval onstage, not in a fancy dress.

He offered me his arm and I politely took it. Stefano guided us out the door, and there were a few photographers, as well as people who had seen the show waiting outside. Knowing this was only going to happen the first few nights, I posed for pictures with all who wanted them, and even signed a few autograph books. When we were finished, Stefano put his hand on the small of my back and led me to the limo waiting for us. Alexei joined us after encountering the same wave of people.

"Go." Stefano told the driver, who nodded his head silently. "You two were good." Stefano complimented me and Alexei. "It was rough, but it was good." Well that was great. I loved being told my performance was rough, especially on opening night.

"Eleanor makes it easy." Alexei spoke, and I wanted to kiss him for the compliment. It probably wasn't the smartest for him to stand up to Stefano like that, but I appreciated the support of a good partner.

"Even so, she has her faults." Stefano switched his eyes from Alexei to me. "You have to improve your face. You know you do. Your expressions read poorly."
Perhaps that was because I was a ballerina and not an actor.

"And you." Stefano returned to looking at Alexei. "You are very strong. I want to see the support you can give your partner. Don't make her look fragile."