20

Christmas morning went as I expected

Christmas morning went as I expected. JJ and Nikki were up an hour or so after I woke, Joe and Annabel in tow. My mother was the last to wake up, though her grandchildren made sure it was a quick process. Within a half hour, the family room was covered in wrapping paper and boxes, Nikki and JJ happily squealing as they opened presents.

To Annabel's disappointment, her gift from our parents was a joint gift with Joe: a gift certificate to a local steakhouse. She thanked them profusely, justifying that they'd use it for a great date night, but I recognized the look in her eye. She had wanted the equivalent of her own fancy Barbie Dreamhouse.

My parents and I awkwardly exchanged Amazon gift cards, though it was clear neither of us had expected to spend Christmas together so we didn't put much thought into the gifts we got for each other. I knew I had bought mine in the airport while waiting for my flight.

After everyone had opened everything, we returned to our respective spaces, getting ready for the day. Since I had already showered before opening presents, I sat on the back patio, overlooking Annabel and Joe's small backyard.

"Get in the house, Eleanor, you're going to catch a cold."

I glanced over my shoulder and rolled my eyes. Once a nagger...

"Mother." I greeted. "Don't you look lovely. Is that the necklace Dad got you?"

"It is." She put her hand to her neck, toying with the pearls. It was quiet for a pregnant, uncomfortable pause before she spoke again. "May I sit?"

I gestured to the seat across from me, knowing that I didn't really have a say in the matter. She would find a way to get her way eventually.

"Your father talked to me." She spoke and I held my breath. Was it going to be that easy? "And I apologize for making you uncomfortable when you first got here."

I let the breath go. That was her apology?

"You know that's not why I'm angry with you." I argued, unwilling to let her worm her way out of this. I had waited too long to have this conversation. It wouldn't be that easy on either of us.

"Well, I think you're overreacting." She scoffed lightly, sparing me a sideways glance. "I did what was best for you, Eleanor."

"No you didn't." I snorted. "You stranded me in Lewiston, convinced my employer that I was never coming back, and jeopardized everything I had worked my entire life for. You knew how badly I wanted to be a ballerina, and how proud I was when I got into school, and eventually the company. I shared that with you. I shared with you how hard I trained to get my first principal role. How thrilled I was to be there and how scared I was that I would screw it up. I devoted my entire life to work, and you tore everything out from under me with one phone call."

She was silent, for once in her life, and I stared at her angrily. Did she even care? She sure as hell didn't act like she did. I waited for an answer and what she said made my stomach drop.