16

"Eleanor, how very nice to see you!" Rebecca greeted me in a sing songy voice, flanked by two very beautiful women

"Eleanor, how very nice to see you!" Rebecca greeted me in a sing songy voice, flanked by two very beautiful women. "Girls, this this Eleanor, a friend of Loren's, Eleanor, this is Michelle and this is Kelsey."

"Hi." I greeted them both awkwardly, the two staring me down like I had some disease they could catch if they got too close.

"Anyway, we just saw your show, it was spectacular! The settings were beautiful, the costuming was magnificent, and the dancing wasn't too bad, either." She joked, her friends tittering politely.

"I'm glad you liked it. If you don't mind, I've got to go find someone, so I'll see you. Nice to meet you both."

"My, my, Amit, you sure were right about the whiskey sours!" Mary's voice rang loud as she returned. Well there went my escape route. "Oh, Rebecca, I didn't see you there, dear." Mary greeted Rebecca with a polite hug and took a drink. "I had forgotten you'd be here tonight."

"Oh yes, I wouldn't miss it for the world." She answered. "I love the ballet."

"That's great. Eleanor was great, wasn't she?" Mary shifted the subject onto me and I gave her a look. She responded with her own look that made it clear she knew what she was doing. Traitor.

"Absolutely fantastic." Rebecca complimented. "I was wondering if your dismissal from the Brandt Curtis piece would affect you, but you're as beautiful as ever."

Damn, was she really still pressing about the Brandt thing? I thought I'd made it clear that it was a dead issue.

"I try not to be that weak." I retorted politely, not wanting to look like a total bitch. "After all, I wouldn't make a very good performer if I let something as small as being let go from a secondary piece ruin my ability to dance in a completely unrelated number."

Rebecca laughed considerately. "That's very fair." She nodded and her friends agreed with her. "Well in any case, you did a wonderful job."

"Thanks." I responded flatly, wishing it was time to go home.

"So, Mary, I heard Loren won the game tonight. Why aren't you out celebrating with him?" Rebecca turned her attention to Mary and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. God, was Rebecca tough to please. I listened to Mary respond to each of Rebecca's questions and comments coolly and calmly and wondered how she managed it. I'd wanted to smack Rebecca's pretty little smile off her face after the first time she spoke.

After an hour or so, Mary started to seem tired, and I jumped at the chance to leave.

"Amit, I'm going to head out. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Righty-o, Eleanor." He nodded, having drank a little more than he should have.

Mary and I got our coats from the check and headed outside.

"So where are you staying, Mary?" I asked as we walked.

"Oh near Bryant Park." She explained as we walked to the subway. "Michael's got great business points and we don't get too many chances to use them so we splurged."