30| Blame it on the alcohol

I can't get over how handsome he looks in his gray tee and jeans. When doesn't he look handsome? But tonight, in particular, he's made a special effort with his hair, and all I want to do is run my hands through it.

"Noah," I say, turning to Pax. "It's Noah." I sound way more enthusiastic than I probably should, but it's hard to rein it in when I'm so inexplicably happy, and seeing Noah's face on the day I made tryouts is the perfect ending to my night. 

Pax follows my gaze to a concerned-looking Noah, who's frowning at his phone like he's trying to contact me, only it's just occurred to me that I left mine in my gym bag in the gazebo. "You're right," Pax says, sounding amused, "that is, in fact, Noah. Hey, let me see your glass for a second." In one swift move, he pulls it from my hands before downing the contents and handing it back. 

"What," I say, staring at my empty glass, "the hell."

Grinning, he says, "You'll thank me tomorrow. You're half a glass from ending up on the floor."

It's an exaggeration that I don't have time to chastise him for. Noah looks over, and even though a dozen people are dancing between us, he finds me quickly enough in the crowd like I'm the only person here.

I don't think I've seen him look this frustrated. He tilts his head, and his eyes are practically begging for a sign as to how tryouts went, but my face gives nothing away. 

A hint of a challenge overcomes him. Like a man on a mission, he pushes his way through the crowd of bodies and steps right in front of us, his eyes not-so-subtly flitting to mine with a hint of something wicked. 

"Hey," he says casually to Addy and me, then pulls Pax into one of those halfhearted bro hugs before dropping his gaze to my glass. "Are we celebrating something?" His eyes catch mine as he waits for my reaction, forcing me to fight off my grin. As much as I want to torture him further, I can't contain my excitement any longer. 

"Actually, we are," Addy says, beating me to it. "Ever tried out for the swim team tonight and made it."

The grin Noah gives me could knock a girl out. "Congratulations," he says, and I can tell from the slight hesitation that follows that he wants to say more, but he doesn't have to. If that's not unwavering pride in his eyes, I don't know what is.

"Thank you," I say, and I'll admit, I'm smiling like an eighth grader who's just been complimented by the popular kid, only that popular kid happens to be someone I'm very attracted to, and I'm pretty sure the smile is accompanied by a blush.

Any talk of my tryouts is interrupted by Jesse and some girl walking past. He doesn't acknowledge us, which confirms my suspicions that he and Noah's friendship is on shaky ground, though why, I'm not sure.

I glance at Addy, frowning when her lip trembles. It must suck having the same friendship group as the guy you're on the outs with, and while Jesse didn't stoop low enough to exclude her altogether, he's sure as hell doing his best to make her suffer. It's why, despite the fact he's Noah's best friend, I irrevocably hate him. 

"Okay, I'm in desperate need of another drink," Addy says, shaking back her hair. "Anyone else?"

I'm about to step forward, if only to serve as her moral support, when Pax grabs her hand instead. A little relieved, I watch the pair make their way to the bar before turning on my heel and headbutting Noah in the chest. 

"Whoa, easy." His fingers clench around my arm as he stares protectively down at me. I feel myself lean into him slightly, breathing in his crisp, clean aftershave. "If Pax pressured you into this," he says in my ear, "I'm going to kill him."