35| All kinds of antics

I wake up to several messages from Noah apologizing for last night. I'd left quickly, given what happened, so I'd already gone by the time he arrived. Clearly, he feels guilty, so I message again to tell him it's fine before getting ready.

Knowing there will be little time between my last class of the day and practice, I prepare my gym bag in advance and then slip into a hoodie and yoga pants for convenience. Afterward, I check on Addy, who has just pulled herself out of bed and is now taming her curls in front of the mirror.

"You're going to be late," I say, leaning against the door.

"I know. I've been stressing about Jesse all morning. I think–" she stops for a moment to meet my gaze in the mirror's reflection, "–I'm going to tell him what happened."

It's my turn to sigh. She's gone back and forth on her decision all night, so I'm not surprised she's changed her mind again. "Addy–"

"I know, I know," she says, gently separating two tangled curls. "We agreed not to say anything, but I'll wait until after Cabo so it doesn't ruin everyone's trip."

I don't say anything. I don't know if telling Jesse the truth is a good idea. It's not like they're together, so technically, Addy doesn't owe him anything, but if this ever gets out, all hell will break loose. Do we wait for Jesse to invariably find out or rip off the band-aid and tell him upfront? Sometimes, I wonder if it's even the truth that hurts or if it's being lied to about it.

"If we tell Noah, he could make that call," I say. We're running out of options here, and knowing I'm about to sit next to him in class while holding in this secret makes me nervous. It's ironic, given how many lies I've told to date. "He'll know what's best for the team."

"No way," Addy says, spinning around to face me. "He'll tell Jesse right away, which will make everyone's time in Cabo miserable, including Jesse's. The team has been so stressed lately that I just want everyone to have a good time."

While I get the sentiment, she might have little choice. "Do you really think Pax will keep his mouth shut about this? I like the guy, but if you asked me which Calbear is most likely to blab about his conquests, I'd name him in a heartbeat."

She frowns as if this hasn't occurred to her. Before she can speak, my phone alarm sounds, signaling it's almost time for class. I sigh and wrap my arms around her shoulders, allowing her to press her cheek against my hoodie.

"Do whatever you think is right," I say. "I won't say anything either way."

The tiniest smile crosses her lips, tinged with sadness. "How'd I get so lucky to have you as a best friend?"

"Hey," I say, making my way toward the door. "I ask myself that every day."

The last thing I see is her rolling her eyes as I close the door behind me and hotfoot it to class. Noah is waiting for me in the back row with a seat saved. My heart leaps – instinctively at this point – and I push through the empty seats to get to him. Unlike high school, where everyone tended to gather in the back of the room, in college, most prefer sitting up front, leaving just us.

He sees me coming and shifts his bag to make space. I slip into the seat next to him, our eyes meeting just as Mr. Walter enters and descends the steps. Noah leans into me, his shoulder brushing mine as he lowers his voice. "I'm sorry about last night. I had to make a last-minute trip to the medical center."

A sudden flash of panic rises through me. "Why? Is everything okay?"

"I'm fine," he assures me. "I got a little dizzy, and she told me I was probably dehydrated and to drink more fluids. But if you're volunteering to nurse me back to health–" his gaze drops to my lips and down to my hoodie, no doubt imagining what's under it. I lightly shove his chest, smiling when his lips curl playfully. "Did you get much practice in?" he asks.