7 - Messed Up Encounter

"Do you need help?" Y/N hesitantly asked when she spotted Seojin struggling to carry the groceries. It's been a week since she came back home, but the two of them never really talked. The only interaction they had was the occasional polite nod or smile in passing.

"No, I'm fine." He glanced at her, looking away right away. "You should go on about your day. I appreciate the offer, though," Seojin responded, attempting to dismiss the situation and maintain the familiar walls that surrounded him. He was always like that, keeping his emotions tightly locked away.

"Are you sure? It looks like you could use a hand. I don't mind helping out-" When Y/N reached out to hold one of the plastic bags he was holding, he pushed away her hand, making Y/N pause, her hand still lingering in the air between them. 

"I said I'm fine." He repeated and walked away, letting Y/N let out a heavy sigh before she stepped into the house. She was disappointed and hurt, but she knew he was distant because of everything he did and told her when she became a member of his family. She couldn't blame him. 

"Oh, Mom," She muttered when she found her mother sitting at the kitchen table, engrossed in a book. "I wanted to ask you about something." 

"Yes, sweetheart?" She put down the book and looked up. She had warm eyes and a smile that could instantly put anyone at ease. "Is something on your mind?"

"No... I just wanted to ask if I can go to Jeju with Areum. I saved money for the flight, but I wondered if we can go to your cottage there." She asked, nervously playing with the edge of her sleeve.

"Jeju sounds like a wonderful idea, Y/N. And yes, of course, you can go. I'm sure the two of you will have so much fun." Relief washed over Y/N's face as she heard her mother's enthusiastic response. She had been hesitant to ask, unsure of how her mother would react. But seeing her happy and excited made her smile happily. 

"Thank you, Mom. Areum is going to be so excited to hear this." She wrapped her arms around her, kissing her cheek before her mother returned the embrace. Then the next thing was Y/N talking to Areum on the phone, telling her to pack her things so they can go to Jeju. Their flight was scheduled in four days and Y/N had to go back to Seoul where she'd meet Areum and catch the flight to Jeju together.

On the road to the train station, Seojin was driving while Y/N kept looking out the window. It was uncomfortable. Too uncomfortable that she just wanted to close her eyes and escape into a world of her own. "You should be careful." But Seojin's voice caught her off guard before she sighed.

"It doesn't feel right when you pretend to care." Y/N didn't intend to lash out, but the tension and discomfort inside her were bubbling up, and she couldn't keep it bottled any longer. "Just keep on ignoring me, like you've always done."

Seojin's grip on the steering wheel tightened slightly, and he let out a heavy sigh. He didn't say anything, deciding that letting her be was the best he could do right then. He knew he wasn't the best brother to her, and he also knew that she went through tough things that made her bitter so he didn't push it further. 

The two of them drove silently, Y/N scrolling through her phone to distract herself from the awkwardness that lingered in the car. Until they reached the train station where she got off. "Have fun." He said quickly before getting into his car and driving away, making her feel frustration, sadness, and a hint of guilt for lashing out at him.

"I'm on vacation." She took a deep breath, faked a smile, and got on the train to Seoul. Areum was waiting for her in the apartment and when she arrived, she couldn't help but be curious about Jake. She knew he was an asshole, but she found herself wondering if he was still sick or if he was home, to begin with. 

"He's not home." Areum's voice made her jump slightly before she let out a gasp and turned around. "Just tell the truth, you're actually interested in him." 

Y/N just let out a mock gasp and hugged her tightly. "Okay, fine, you caught me. I might be a little curious. But it's not that I like him or anything."

"You're not as slick as you think, Y/N," Areuml chuckled, giving Y/N a knowing look. "How is it back at home?"

"You mean how's Seojin? He's doing good." She shrugged, making Areum roll her eyes and laugh. The two of them stepped into Y/N's apartment and dropped the bags near the entrance. "I can't believe we're going to Jeju." At that, Areum let out the loudest scream, jumping happily around the place. She was really the perfect travel buddy.

"We're going to have so much fun, count on it. This is a dream come true, after all that exam season stress, I'm going to go to the beach and just swim and sleep. Just wait and see." Y/N just nodded at that, and a day later, they were heading to Jeju. Her parents called to ask about her and let her know about the house in Jeju. When they arrived, Areum pulled the baggage while Y/N held her film camera and took pictures of everything, including her best friend who loved being her model.

When they made it to the guest house, Y/N's mind drifted to the memories of when she was a child. Of all those moments she spent with her first love. "It feels as if time has flown by," She muttered, gazing at the breathtaking view from the guest house balcony. "The place looks just as beautiful as I remember. I used to have so much fun."

"And by fun, you mean having little kid crushes?" Areum laughed, leaning against the balcony railing. "Your family sure knows how to pick a spot- what the fuck?" Her sudden exclamation caught Y/N off guard and she quickly turned to see what had surprised her friend, only for her eyes to widen when she noticed the familiar figure a few meters away, looking equally surprised.

She gulped, her stomach dropping. "What is he doing here?"

Jake, with his hands in his pocket, walked to her, his eyes darkening. She couldn't understand what he was doing in her parent's guest house or how, out of everywhere he could be, he ended up in the same place as her. "Jake," Someone called, making her look behind at another familiar figure, this time making her heart skip a beat. "Y/N?"

"Sunghoon." She muttered, frowning as she looked between Jake, Sunghoon, and Heran who followed after him like a trio of unexpected apparitions. She gulped, knowing very well that she was about to encounter something she really didn't want to deal with. 

But when Jake walked to her and stopped right in front of her, his eyes narrowed, she let out a sigh and ran her fingers through her hair. "What the hell are you doing here?" 

"I'm here to crash your little party, of course," Y/N scoffed, shrugging as she looked around her. "I mean, I could ask you the same thing. This is my parents' guest house."

"You must be fucking kidding me." He rolled his eyes, letting out a mock gasp before Sunghoon walked to her, pulling her behind him. "What the hell?"

"She's my friend. Do you know her?" He muttered, making Jake scoff and look at them in confusion and disbelief. The trip to Jeju was going to be quite eventful, and tensions were already rising on the very first day.