CHAPTER 1

SOLOMON AND EDUARDO sat inside the cafeteria wondering where Lisa was.

Eduardo took a bite of his food. "She's probably distracted by social media."

Solomon sighed. "Yep. I can't wait anymore. I'm going to get my food, too." He went to grab some food from the refrigerated shelves, then entered the queue to get some hot food. "Hi, I'd like a bowl of pancit molo please."

The kitchen worker looked exhausted. Her face was pale and dirty. He didn't peer too closely, not wanting to appear rude.

She scooped the soup into a bowl and handed it to him.

He grabbed it from her, thanking her. Then he nearly dropped the bowl. "What the hell?"

Inside the bowl appeared to be a severed finger. He turned back to the server but now she was growling and reaching out to him. He dropped the bowl and raced back to his friend.

"Something is happening!"

"I know," said Eduardo. "Maybe they weren't joking when they said Manila University was a Zombie University."

Solomon grabbed his belongings. "Oh, those bad American jokes."

Eduardo finished up the last of his coffee. "Let's go find Lisa and make sure she's doing okay."

The two friends raced out of the cafeteria, not looking back at the chaos that began.

Eduardo tried to catch a breath. "This is unbelievable! If I knew less, I'd say it was a big joke!"

Solomon pushed an infected man out of the way. "It's probably not like the movies. Some jerk probably just sold some hallucinogens to bunch of the students and now it's making them crazy."

"I hope you're right," said Eduardo. "That means this should settle down soon, then."

Solomon pointed ahead. "There's her dorm room!"

"Just great," replied Eduardo. "It's blocked by zombies!"

"I know, but we could run around to the back and see if there is another entrance. Or at worst find her window. She's only on the second floor."

"Let's go!" Solomon followed after him as Eduardo ducked to the right of the building.

LISA SAT ON HER BED, trying to figure out what to do. Every now and then there would be a loud thump on her door, or the door knob would jiggle, as id someone were trying to get in.

She took a deep breath and looked around the room.

"I could push that big chest of drawers over to the front of the door," she said, thinking to herself. "Or, I could make a ladder out of the sheets and use it to climb out the window."

She shook her head. "Why not do both?" she muttered to herself. She stood up and walked over to the big chest. She pushed against it.

At first it didn't want to budge. It was made in the last century, and they certainly didn't build them like that anymore. But then she felt it skid a bit across the floor. Then it slid a bit more. She shoved harder to keep the momentum going.

She thought she was going to die with the effort, but she kept on pushing. If she stopped now, she wouldn't be able to start again.

"Oof!" she said, finally releasing the huge piece of furniture. It was now in front of the door.

She smiled, proud of herself. Then a little light went off in her brain. "I have an idea!" she thought to herself. "And it doesn't involve me climbing out the window."

She turned to look around her room for weapons and supplies, when she had a look at where the chest of drawers once was.

"What the heck is that?" she asked in disbelief.

EDUARDO AND SOLOMON made it around the dormitory building. It was much quieter at the back.

Eduardo ran up to the door and tried to clasp the handle but it wouldn't open. "We need a key fob!" he said.

"I don't have one, unless the one for our building works too." He pulled it out of his back pocket and swiped it against the plate, but it didn't work.

Eduardo ran down the steps and peered into one of the basement windows. "We could break a window to get in."

Solomon laughed. "I have a better idea, and it's called a cell phone!" He pulled his phone out of his pocket and called Lisa.