The Bird Cage

The group enters a structure with giant windows designed to look into the canyon beyond only there's nothing to see but a thick fog. Toward the center of the room, a spiral staircase that leads to a lower level. With Billy lagging, Grant approaches the stairs and peers down the circular opening in the floor. There is not much to see, just fog, a glint of sunlight.

(Y/N): This should be fun.

Step by step, Grant leads the group down a rusty spiral staircase below the observation room. The stairs end in a lower level. Although we're technically outside, this whole place feels strangely enclosed. There's a thick fog at this level clouds, really but far below we can see the river. And at its banks, a barge.

Grant: We climb down to the barge and follow the river out to the ocean. With any luck, the Costa Rican coast guard will pick us up.

Eric: Then we go home?

Amanda: Then we go home.

Grant leads everyone down a Ramp to a catwalk branches off, a set of stairs continuing down the along the canyon wall. Grant starts down the stairs. He's only taken a few steps down the rusty staircase suddenly breaks beneath his feet. (Y/N) grabs him in the nick of time. The staircase vanish into the fog. Clanging against the canyon wall. After a few more seconds of silence, they hear the crash far below.

(Y/N): You okay?

Grant nods and looks in the other direction.

Grant: How about if we try this way?

Their only other option is a precarious catwalk that disappears into the mist.

Amanda: Do you think it goes all the way across?

Grant: One way to find out.

The only way to get his-near-fall is to push ahead. But his stomach turns at being so high. Amanda follows. The catwalk creaks and groans, listing slightly. She freezes mid-stride.

(Y/N): We'd better do this one at a time.

Amanda steps off and Grant carefully pushes forward, disappearing into the thick fog. The others listen to the CREAKING of the catwalk until it stops Abruptly. Silence.

Paul: Dr. Grant?

More silence. Then, out of the fog, a distant voice call out --

Grant: Come on over. One at a time.

Amanda steps tentatively forwards. Eric is clinging to her.

Amanda: Eric, it's okay. You'll be right behind me.

Paul: We're not going anywhere, I promise.

As Paul holds Eric, and Amanda shares a look.

Amanda: We're all together now, Eric.

Eric reluctantly releases her mother. Amanda starts to cross. Grant has stopped at a lateral support across the catwalk, trying to get the sense of where they are and what purpose this place may have served. On the other side (Y/N) was also looking around trying to figure out what this place use to be. Seeing that the support beams are brace high arched walls of steal mesh, it becomes obvious that we are inside this vast construction. Amanda emerges from the mist and turns back to the catwalk.

Amanda: Okay! Come on, Eric!

Eric is next to go across. He's still tentative.

Paul: How 'bout if I...

Eric: No, I can do it.

(Y/N), Billy and Paul look on as Eric disappears into the vapor.

Paul: (muttering to himself) That's it Eric. Nice and easy...