189-190

Chapter 189: Could be considered the first in Daliang

After hearing what Xiao Hanzheng said, the emperor pondered for a moment.

"Sure, I will instruct the palace attendants to issue you a pass. You can go and look at the recent examination papers any time."

He added, "By compiling the examination papers, you can also add in these examination questions. Then, you can also let your teacher and others participate. Wait until you become a high scholar, or even a juren (举人), we can print out these examination questions."

Xiao Hanzheng was an elementary scholar now, so it was not a good time to do so yet.

The emperor felt that since they were going to do it, they should do it big.

It was not interesting to target only tongsheng, so it was better to create a complete set of examination question books for tongsheng, high scholars, and juren.

Over the years, even for the selection examination for officials, most who stood out were the descendants from aristocratic families.

In order to increase the diversity of better performing students with more from a humble background, this examination question bank would be a good start.

He roughly yet vaguely expressed his intention.

Xiao Hanzheng knew the emperor very well, and he could immediately understand the hidden meaning behind it.

He nodded and smiled. "Your Majesty is right. I'll start compiling it first and wait until the end of next year's selection examinations for officials before printing it. I will also discuss it with my teacher."

The emperor liked smart people. "Mr. Hou has taken in a good student."

Then, he asked casually, "You only want this as your reward?"

Xiao Hanzheng smiled and replied, "Being able to offer the seed is all thanks to the efforts of my wife's teacher and her master. I am already very content to gain fame and glory together with my wife and be able to browse through the past examination questions."

Now was just the right time. Although it would attract a lot of jealousy, it would not draw too much hatred.

If the emperor lavished rewards on them, it would not be good if it was too eye-catching.

One day, he would earn a high status in society compared to his previous life.

What he needed wasn't the rewards, but actual achievements.

The emperor's eyes revealed a rare hint of admiration. "I'll leave it up to you."

He did not believe that Xiao Hanzheng did not come up with a plan to offer the seeds.

Was It really that coincidental? Along with the rumours that were not good for him, the heavenly-gifted seeds emphasised that he was the chosen one destined to rule the empire.

Although the emperor felt that he was indeed the chosen one, he did not think it would be so coincidental.

In addition to Xiao Hanzheng's performance today, he believed that he was talented.

The emperor chatted with Xiao Hanzheng for a while and asked a lot of questions.

Xiao Hanzheng shared with him more insights.

The emperor was very satisfied, but at the same time, he felt a little regretful.

Why was Xiao Hanzheng still an elementary scholar?

Seeing that it was almost time, the emperor let Mo Qingling leave with Xiao Hanzheng and his wife.

After they left, the emperor picked up a memorial, but he was not able to focus his mind to read it.