34: Last days

(15th of December) Today is the last day of term before the Christmas holidays. Most of us are together in the common room during our lunch hour. We have basically already finished, because we have Trelawny last period and we won't go to that anyway. The Malfoys have invited all of us to theirs for Christmas. Narcissa is like the loveliest woman alive, even though her husband is piece of shit. Pansy's family are going to join for the Christmas week, but apart from that, it will just be us and the Malfoys.

"Merry Christmas." Theo sings, skipping into the common room and falling onto Pansy. Draco is behind him, and pulls a bottle of firewhiskey from his bag.

"Draco it's one o'clock in the afternoon." Pansy says.

"Prime time for a drink." Draco replies, handing the bottle to Mattheo's outstretched arm and sitting down on the sofa. We talk briefly, passing the bottle around. Suddenly Pansy snatches it from Theo and shove into her bag.

"Way to kill a party Parkinson." Theo moans.

We all follow her gaze to the door, to see Snape and Dumbledore walking towards us. Dumbledore stops halfway, and Snape continues until he is almost behind our sofa. The common room is silent, the other groups watching us, waiting for something to happen.

"Miss Diggory, Miss Parkinson and Mr Malfoy, would you all accompany us?" He waits for us to slowly get up, then turns and walks back to Dumbledore. He also turns, and they leave.

"You two better not have gotten me in trouble." Draco says.

"Keep a lid on it Draco." Pansy replies, rolling her eyes.

We all reach the corridor and follow them in the direction to Dumbledore's office. They are far ahead so they won't be able to hear us talk.

"I wonder if they know you've got a half-drunken bottle of Firewhiskey in your bag?" Draco suggests.

Pansy immediately looks worried and turns to me. "Evelyn-".

"Just don't open your bag." I reply.

"What if they search us?"

"They aren't going to search us."

"What if they do?"

"Maybe I'll tell them you have it."

"Fuck off." She replies, making Draco laugh.

Eventually we reach Dumbledore's office and we go up the stairs. I actually don't know why we are here, I can't think why Draco would be involved in something that me and Pansy are. We reach the top and walk into the study. Narcissa and Pansy's mother are stood by the seating area on the right. After seeing them, we all immediately head towards them. Both their parents embrace me and ask me how I am. I hug Narcissa last, and she holds my shoulders. "I'm so sorry Evelyn, I wish we could have prevented this."

I'm extremely confused, and look at her puzzled until a voice behind me begins.

"What about me?"

My face drops and I immediately freeze. I feel instant panic rush through me. Both Draco and Pansy spin to look at me, both concerned. Pansy grabs my hand.

"Evelyn look at me." The voice comes again.

Pansy squeezes my hand. I reluctantly turn around, to see my mother stood by Dumbledore's desk.