Chapter 8

We ate dinner and jane said she felt much better having her chicken soup. We all sat together in the drawing room after dinner.

Philip's mother brought out the cake. She placed it in the table and left. I called everyone's attention and said
" Jane we are having a celebration cake....charles has suggested we celebrate your recovery with something sweet. " I infromed her.

She blushed deeply and said " oh! You shouldn't have done that for me. Such trouble for me. " She said with a shy face.

" Oh! its nothing dear...I was so sorry that you're my guest and you got sick under my care. But now that you're well, we will have so much fun. We will go for picnic, walk and if someone tries to shoo me away...I wouldn't listen. " I said pointing towards charles.

He smiled in embarrassment but the relief that his choose has been approved by his sister shower a sign of relief in his face. " Lets cut the cake...and if you can tolerate the taste. I will be grateful. " I said handing her the knife.

She with a shy face cut the cake and than I distributed the cake among others. And  I made sure Mr Hurts get a big size since he loves to eat cake.

" Thank you Caroline. Will you play a game of cards after this..." he asked and well since we are not pleasing Mr Darcy anymore why not  ?

I said " why not. " and he went back to sit and finish his cake.

I personally served Elizabeth cake with everything on it. Everyone praised my cake, charles praised it like he never ate a cheese cake before but not Mr darcy. He kept eating without uttering a word.

I dont know why I was waiting for some words from him. Both Bennett sisters chatting together and charles standing with darcy in little distance.

Thinking I am not listening Charles finally asked " How is the cake my dear friend? Isn't it tasty? " Mr Darcy looked up from his cake and said " Its good but not enough to get a good husband...she should work hard. " and why did I received ' she is good but not enough to tempt me ' in a twisted way?

" Pray tell me why you think my sister isn't capable enough to have a husband? " asked my brother with little force and now everyone is looking at Mr Darcy.

" I didn't mean that...she has her own attitude, an air of superiority....something which is not something that a man looks for in a lady. " He said with a little smile in his lips...he is teasing...isn't he?

" Than that man must have really low taste in woman. And that kind of man is not suitable for Caroline. " Said Elizabeth and now I love her even more she stood up for me.

And some how we are back in the conversation of accomplished woman and how a woman should be...good progress. I really wanted to say something to add to his knowledge but I let him converse with elizabeth so that they can form a relationship. 

My sister and others joined in the argument and I didn't say anything I just walked up to Mr Darcy to take the plate of cake since he didn't like it. But of course....he pulled back the plate saying " carol that's mine...thank
you. " and like that he gave me another nickname carol.

" You said you didn't like it so give it back. I will give the cake to philip , he will enjoy eating without making a face. " I told again trying to take the cake from him. " snatching things not lady like at all. " he whispered to me. " Those fine eyes will find someone else to look at.... if you behave like that. " I told to make him angry. 

" Carole I was joking .....you made a tasty cake . I am just trying to distract your brother from Miss Bingley. " he said and I didn't hear the last part , all I heard was he liked my baking. Am I ? Nope. 

I am staying away from him, if he continues to be friendly I will fall like real Caroline and the heartbreak will be real. And I am not here to have a broken heart. 

" Lets not argue over this matter anyone and discuss about the ball. Brother you must keep your word and throw a ball. I want to dance and have a good time. " I told Charles, I really want to attended the ball.

" Very soon. " said charles. " Why ? Are you trying to find a match for yourself Miss BIngley ? " asked Mr Darcy. " why would I do that ? I just want to dance but this society...terrible. " I told him. " Now why are you blaming society ?" he asked me. 

" If you show interest in anyone and or multiple partners ....people will say you're just looking and If I or other lady does that than she is a terrible flirt. can't even enjoy a ball without making anyone feel like I am looking for a husband. " I  told him. 

" Okay no more argument , we will have ball soon. Darcy may sleep in his room away from crowd ....while my sister you can dance as much as possible. " said charles. " Even it will be an honour to dance with you. " said Mr Husts. " Thank you. " I told him. The fact that  he took the pain to speak for me shows that he considers me as his family. 

 " And now can we have some music please. " I know he wants to make the moment lively and I am glad he did. cause I almost started my own fighting mode for women. And they would have found some flaws in me.

I told my elder sister to play a song and environment of the room became lively. Tomorrow the sisters will want to go back home. Mr Collins is on his way....and Wickham already entered their lives. I have to talk with elizabeth as soon as possible.