Chapter Eight

TAYLOR SWIFT

"Hey, sweetie. Would you like some breakfast?" 

Ruben padded into the kitchen, a hand on her belly. She shook her head with a frown. "What's the matter pumpkin? Does your tummy still hurt?" I asked her. She nodded and put out her hands to me. I picked her up and sat her against my pelvis, letting her wrap her legs around my waist- with my hands under her bottom holding her up.

"I think were gonna have to go to the doctor. None of the medicine seems to work on you, hey love?" I pouted, running my fingers through her hair. She shook her head against me. "Let's get you feeling better hm?" 

I took one hand from underneath Ruben and grabbed my phone. I dialled Tree's number. 

"Hey Tree, It's Taylor, obviously, um, could you get me a doctors appointment for today? Ruben's stomach still hurts and she's very clearly uncomfortable, I just wanted to get it looked at because nothing I'm giving her seems to be working. Trust me I've tried the whole medicine cabinet."

"Sure, but you really need a personal assistant girl," Tree laughed into the phone. "Why would I when I have you?" I laughed back. "It's not my fault I'm the only one around here who does anything! I'm doing it as a friend not because you're my boss just for the record." 

"OK, OK. I'll let you go as I'm sure you have plenty more important things to do instead of letting me bore you with my voice, give me a buzz about the appointment though. Thanks so much." I sighed into the speaker. "All good Taylor. Go give that kid some love,"

"Will do. I don't think she will disconnect herself from me today."

Tree laughed again. "Alright, bye Taylor"

"Bye Tree."

The phone beeped three times in my ear so I pulled it away. "Are you sure you don't want to eat anything?" I asked. Ruben shook her head again. "OK sweet girl. How about we go lay down and watch a movie while we wait to go see the doctor?" I suggested.

"In your bed?" The little girl asked hopefully. "Sure thing, baby girl."

After about half an hour of watching paw patrol under the duvet, Tree texted.

Tree Paine
Docs appt for Ruben @ 11:15 
Its the place we went to when you hurt your toe after the Rep rehearsals

I snorted and hearted the message, reminiscing back to when I had an ingrown toenail and thought it was broken.

-

"What would you like to wear? Something comfy? What about these sweatpants?" I asked Ruben as I sifted through her drawers. I held out a pair of navy blue trousers to the girl who nodded her head. I don't think she cared much today, wanting to just be curled up in my bed. I picked out a hoodie from her closet and began to dress her. 

"Oh honey, I know, I know. The doctor will fix it soon." I assured the little girl, whining and groaning as I had to stretch her out to get her pants on. Before the waist band could even press against her skin she was back into a ball. 

This is not good.

I threw on her hoodie and picked her up, grabbing her shoes with my free hand. I carried her out to the kitchen and grabbed my keys too with that same hand and slid on some loose sneakers by the front door. 

I locked the door behind us I made our way to the car. I buckled Ruben into the new car seat as carefully as I could. "Tayyy..." She whined painfully as I went to shut the door. "Yes darling?" I asked. "Want you," She groaned, holding her hands out to me.

"Aw, sweetheart. I'll be able to hold you soon, I've just gotta drive you to the doctor's first." I said with a pout. I leaned in and kissed the top of her head before shutting the door. I hopped into the drivers seat and started up the car. 

The drive to the doctors office was hard. The tiny grunts and groans from behind me of soreness and uncomfortably broke my heart. Listening to my music seemed to calm her down though. Once we pulled into the carpark Rubens whines got louder and more desperate. I quickly gathered our stuff and shoved it into my purse so I could hold the toddler easier. 

I opened up her door and unbuckled her. "Shh my love. I'm here now." I whispered into her hair as I picked her fragile body up and onto my chest. "Tay here." She murmured, moving a hand up my body to grasp a handful of my sweater. "Yeah, Tay's here." I smiled into her shoulder. 

Although the girl wasn't feeling good she was still as sweet as ever. 

I walked us into the building and told the receptionist we had arrived. 

We took a seat in the waiting room, the place empty and cold. No wonder why so many people are terrified of these places. I put down my bag at my feet and grabbed out Ruben's shoes. I sat her up on my lap and gave one to her while I opened up the other. I slipped the sneaker onto her foot and repeated with the next. 

We didn't have to wait long before Ruben was called back.

"What's been going on? I hear that you have a sore tummy?" The doctor asked the girl in my lap. She didn't respond, only buried herself into me further. The doc looked up to me for answers. "Yeah. It's been going on for two days now of just pain and being uncomfortable. Nothing I do or give her makes it go away. It seems to be getting worse because she's stopped eating."

"Oh dear, that doesn't sound too fun. If you could pop her up onto the examination table I'd like to have a look at her stomach." She said pointing to the paper covered bench behind me.

I stood up and laid Ruben down. The doctor pulled her legs down from her chest making her cry out. "Sorry sweetheart, this wont take a minute," She said and began to press her fingers into the pale abdomen. The toddler cried, reaching and sobbing for me- and I couldn't do anything.

It took what felt like years for her to finish prodding the little girl and let me scoop her up. 

"So, I'm quite certain on what's making her stomach sore." The doctor says once Ruben had quietened down. "What?"

"Her stomach was rock hard."

"What does that mean?" I asked curiously. "When was the last time she went to the bathroom?"