017

WISTFUL

WISTFUL.
[ irl , social media ]

a/n : the irl section is a flashback (which is why it's in italics)

matt was sitting on the ground, waiting for bin. for the past year, they've been meeting up at the same spot every day. he tossed his bike aside so they could lay down and look at the stars.

she's taught him the little and big dipper, phoenix, orion, pegasus, ophiuschus, and – their personal favorite – perseus.

it was normal for one of them to wait for the other. something could have come up at home and they might have to arrive later than usual. also, they didn't go to the same elementary school which meant they couldn't ever talk except for during these meetings.

matt had been waiting for about fifteen minutes before he finally heard the sound of bin's bike riding down the sidewalk. he quickly stood up from where he was sitting on the ground. but his excitement died down when he saw the look on her face.

the last time he'd seen her cry was when they first met. she hadn't cried ever since then. sometimes she was sad, but he made sure she never started crying.

when bin rode her bike up to their spot, matt immediately noticed that her cheeks were soaked with tears.

"binny?" matt said. "are you okay? why are you crying?"

she tried to hide her sadness, but the moonlight shone on her skin in a way where the tears were very visible.

matt grabbed bin's bike for her so she didn't have to. he pushed it into the grass and let it fall to the ground with a light thud. after taking care of that, he returned his attention to bin.

"i'm okay." bin told him, wiping at her cheeks. "my parents were just yelling really loud tonight."

"do you wanna sit down with me?" matt asked. "we can talk about it if you want. or if you'd prefer not to, we don't have to. we can talk about your stars."

she agreed then they sat on the ground, but neither of them got to say anything before her stomach growled super loudly.

"you're hungry?" matt asked. a bit embarrassed, bin nodded. "why didn't you tell me? we can go to my house and get you some food if you want."

"we don't have to." bin said. "i don't want you to feel pressured."

sometimes bin forgot that not everyone's family life was like hers. she was raised thinking it was normal for families to fight and scream. so whenever matt talked about his brotherswhich was a lot because they did everything together, bin was caught by surprise.