055

WISTFUL

WISTFUL.
[ irl ]

"ehh," matt trails off, "i still think mat is better than lu."

"what!?" bin shouts through the phone. "you're only saying that because he has your name! i love them both equally."

matt and bin have been on facetime all day every day since tour ended. nobody can talk to matt without bin also being there in the background. and nobody can talk to bin without matt being in the background. its like how they used to be as kids. the thing is, their conversations aren't even all that interesting. theyre completely random.

bin is currently cooking herself pasta for lunch but matt is just eating cereal. he's sitting in his kitchen, his phone propped up on the cereal box in front of him. bin, on the other hand, is stirring the pan of noodles as she waits for them to boil.

"yeah because you're their mom." matt points out. "your opinion has to be biased."

before bin can respond, nick comes up from behind matt and takes his phone. "sorry bin! we need to talk to our brother privately." he quickly apologizes before ending the call and turning to face matt.

nick and chris stand behind matt with their arms crossed. nick stuffs matt's phone in his back pocket and tries to look intimidating.

"give me back my phone." matt tells nick, rolling his eyes with annoyance.

"no." chris answers for him. "we have some questions to ask you. and we don't want bin to be on the phone when we ask them."

matt raises an eyebrow, "uhh what?"

nick pulls out the chair beside matt and sits down on his left. chris does the same — but to the right. at this point, matt is completely confused about their weird behavior. because what the hell is going on? they're acting like this is some kind of interrogation.

"we've noticed that you and bin have been acting a bit different lately." nick begins. "you went from hating each other to not being able to spend a second apart. what the fuck happened at the wedding?"

matt stays silent, not knowing what to say. he and bin talked about this the other day — during one of their frequent facetime calls — and they decided that the next time someone asks about whats going on between them, they'll tell the truth.

they agreed that their friends will find out anyway so there's no point in hiding it. plus, they're not even officially together yet.

"matt," nick says gently to get his attention. "i know bin has always been a tough subject for you to address, but we can't help but be curious."

"i know." matt replies.

after a moment of silence between the triplets, matt finally finds a way to formulate his thoughts and verbalize them correctly.

"at the wedding, i stayed with her in the bathroom and we talked about how we felt for each other. i explained that i'm still in love with her and she said she feels the same. however, she doesn't feel confident in starting a relationship because she wants to work on herself as a person." matt says. "then, i went to visit her after the last concert of tour and gave her flowers. one thing lead to the next and we ended up kissing?"

after matt finishes his explanation, nick and chris don't say anything. they're both too taken aback by his honesty to speak.

"kissed?" nick asks finally. "like... kiss kiss?"

"uh. yeah." matt says. "what other type of kiss is there?"

"i dunno!" nick exclaims. "it's just weird to imagine you guys happy together after so long."

"oh. yeah thanks, nick." matt grumbles, resting his chin in his palm and pouting like a child. "everyone's so surprised that we're happy. why can't we just be happy without the whole internet getting involved?"

chris sighs and places a comforting hand on his brother's slumped shoulder. "she's a famous singer and you're a pretty well-known youtuber. i'm not trying to invalidate your feelings because you have a right to be upset. but you should've expected this."

matt doesn't say anything to that. he's never addressed this topic of irritation to anyone. well, until now. he hasn't even told bin that the internet attention bothers him.

he knows he's the one who signed up for this when he decided to be an influencer — although he hates to refer to himself using that word because it sounds so artificial and stupid.

regardless of how he feels, matt would never trade his job for anything. he's extremely grateful for everything he's gotten and has worked for. despite an enormous sense of gratitude, anyone would be annoyed at the feeling of having to tiptoe around ever wanting a romantic relationship. with anyone. the eyes that are already pinned on bin and matt doubles due to her fame being stacked on top of his.

"i know. and don't get me wrong, i absolutely adore our fans." matt says, slumping down so his head is resting on the countertop. "yet, i can't help but wonder what it would be like for us if we weren't watched all the time."

"you'll figure it out." nick tells him. "you and bin always figure it out. together."

that reminds matt. he hasn't told bin about this. he doesn't want to make her worry or make her feel like she's a burden to him. she already feels bad enough as it is. matt gives nick a nod, feigning agreement. but he knows he's not planning to tell bin any time soon — if at all.

───── ─────
a/n : i just wrote like 10 chapters last night 💪💪 after a MONTH of horrible writers block, i've finally battled and overcome my demons 😍

also i promised to update u guys when i watched endgame and...
im completely destroyed.
wrecked.
ruined.
i'll never be the same again.