058

WISTFUL

WISTFUL.
[ irl ]

bin feels like she's getting ready for war. she's dressed complete in black with a belt of ammo to shoot. she's wearing a helmet that looks like she's protecting herself from falling off a fucking cliff. and in her hands, she's holding a paintball gun — which doesn't have much to distinguish itself as a fake.

matt is beside her, dressed in the same exact outfit. his helmet is covering his entire face but judging by the way he places a hand on her shoulder, bin can tell he's giving her a reassuring smile.

the only thing to tell the difference between each team is the fact that their paint is their team color. also, their helmet has a strip of that same color drawn like a halo across the crown of their head.

matt and bin's team color is blue. it's a bright, electric shade of blue so it'll stand out against the dark clothing that everyone's wearing.

chris and june's color is red. madi and nick's color is neon green. willow and kai's color is hot pink. nate and tia's color is purple.

"we're gonna win." matt tells bin. his voice is muffled due to the helmet but she can still hear him clear enough to know what he's saying. she nods in response, keeping her eyes forward because she knows she won't be able to focus on the game if she pays attention to matt. something about him always manages to distract her swim everything else going on around them.

"promise?" bin asks, sarcasm laced in her voice. she knows matt can't promise something like that. not only because he's bad at paintball, but also because bin's never played it before. they literally stand no chance.

"no." he replies easily, making bin laugh. he stares at her even though he can't see her face. he likes to picture it in his head, though. the way her eyes wrinkle, the way her gums flash from under her upper lip, the way her cheekbones tense. he pictures her laugh and immediately smiles at the image.

when matt was signing up for this, he had the choice of playing indoors or outdoors. at first, he wanted to pick indoors because there's a smaller chance of anyone getting lost. but when he remembered that tia is with them, someone straying from the group didn't sound too bad.

they're currently a wide field. it's not completely blank, though, seeing as that would ruin the game. there are tires, wooden forts, and other objects placed around for the players to hind behind or inside of. surrounding the space is a ring of trees that line the woods around them. the layout of the place is pretty simple.