Chapter 2: Damages

Season 1, Episode 2

Joy lays in bed with Lucy, the rookie laying across the assistants stomach, "So, tell me again why you are living in the same house as your dad?"

"Cause it's rent-free. Teaching didn't leave me with a lot of extra cash after bills and such, especially after the move, so I'm staying here either until my dad kicks me out or I save enough to move out. Plus, this way I can make sure my dad doesn't have a heart attack one day after shift," Joy sighs, "Also, if you all could not get shot anymore, that'd be great. It's a lot of paperwork on my end."

Lucy laughs, turning over to face Joy and entangles their legs, "We'll take that under advisement. Do you know when Tim's getting out of the hospital?" 

She nods, "According to Angela and Talia, they are on their way to pick him up right now."

Joy's phone buzzes. She opens the text to the groupchat she has with the TO's before laughing and showing the picture to Lucy. It's a picture of Talia and Angela smiling with a nurse in the background pushing a confused looking Tim out in a wheelchair.

"You've got to send me that!" Lucy smiles, resting her chin on Joy's shoulder as they lay on their stomachs, "Why are you in a groupchat with the three of them anyways?"

"Same-ish reason I'm in one with you, my dad and Jackson. If their's certain information they need before next shift or paperwork they had incomplete. Or when Talia and Angela want to embarrass or annoy Tim by doing stuff like this."

Lucy takes Joy's phone, turning it off and setting it on the bedside table before rolling them so Joy's on bottom and Lucy is on top, "We have to be at roll-call in about two hours and I know you want to be there half an hour earlier so how about we kill an hour?" Lucy asks, leaning down to slowly and deeply kiss Joy.

As Joy strips Lucy to just her underwear, a knock on the door interrupts them. Joy flips Lucy onto the floor, the rookie squealing before hiding under the bed quickly, "Who is it?"

"Joy, it's dad. I made pancakes if you want some. Then I thought we could ride into work together," John shouts through the door, "And why is your door locked?"

"Because I was just showering and didn't want you walking in on accident. I'll be out in a minute."

"Okay," Waiting to hear Johns' footsteps retreat, Joy leans her head over the edge of the bed to see Lucy stare back at her, wide-eyed under the bed.

"That was close."

♡♡♡♡ 

Joy sits at her new little desk at the front of the room where roll-call happens, typing away on her laptop for a report for the DA when she hears her dad, "Very funny, you guys," She looks up to see him holding a white bouquet, "Of course, you know, this means now I have to throw them."

He throws them, nearly avoiding Angela's head and landing in Grey's path, "All right, the honeymoon's over," He says as he walks to the whiteboard, writing four numbers on the board, "3, 5, 7, 21. Officer Nolan, you care to guess what these numbers represent?"

John shakes his head, having no clue, "Combination to your heart, sir?"

There's laughter before Grey starts explaining, "Three is the number of opportunities you had to disable Runaway Bride's car yesterday. Five vehicles were damaged because you failed to do so. 21. Officer Bishop."

"$21,000 in property damage the city has to pay."

"Correct. All in all, Officer Nolan's first pursuit reveals room for improvement."