Chapter 4: Insight

Season 1, Episode 4

Joy sits on Lucy's couch, quizzing Lucy on her rook book, "Okay, in what circumstance could a firearm be discharged at a moving vehicle?"

"Only if the person in the vehicle is immediately threatening an officer or another person with deadly force using something other than the vehicle."

"Yes," Joy smiles, kissing Lucy, "List all descriptors needed for a firearm in a crime report. And if you could share this with my dad and Jackson so they remember, that'd be great. Cause I'm tired of fixing it when they don't."

"A serial number, maker's name, model, caliber or gauge, color of metal...length of barrel," Lucy tells her, kissing her after every answer, "Can I be rewarded for all this studying now?"

Joy shrugs, setting the rook book on the coffee table, "I'm not sure you've earned one yet, Officer Chen."

Lucy glares at her slightly before pushing Joy back onto the couch and climbing on top of her, "Good thing you aren't in charge right now."

♡♡♡♡ 

At roll call, Grey stands at his podium as Joy types on her laptop, taking notes of everything for Grey's report on TO's and Rookie's due next week.

"Everybody settle down. Today is a special day for our rookie's. Cause today...we switch things up. That's right," He almost sings, "Everybody gets a new training officer. Nolan, you'll be riding with Officer Lopez. West, you'll be riding with Officer Bradford. And Chen, you'll be with Bishop. But learning how to navigate a new TO is not your only challenge. By the end of next shift, I expect every rookie to uncover something personal about their training officer, something they don't want you to know. This will be a test of your investigative instincts and your fortitude. Best insight will win a day off. Worst one...handles Saturday night cavity searches."

"Gross," Joy wrinkles her nose, "That's it. Good luck, everyone."

They all leave as Joy looks to Grey, "No matter who wins, can I not be in charge of helping them with the paperwork and evidence logging? Last time I couldn't get that spell out of my nose for weeks."

Grey snorts, "If you can gain insight about me by the end of next shift."

"Easy."

♡♡♡♡ 

Joy texts on her phone as she sits in her and Grey's office. The sound of her nails on her phone screen is obviously annoying Grey, "Nolan! Knock it off, will you? You aren't even supposed to be on your phone anyways."

"Sir, I finished all the paperwork ten minutes ago. I haven't ever been done will all paperwork on this job. Never. I started this job with twenty piles leftover from the last assistant. Now, I've got a system."

"You're mighty confident that nothing's missing," Grey almost smirks.

"Sir, I found the file you tried to hide under your desk."

"Well, what about-"

"And the one you filed as completed," Joy smirks, "And before you try, also the one you hid in Smitty's locker. As soon as he saw the extra paperwork, he brought it to me. So, sir, anything else?"

Grey grumbles, almost pouting, "Yeah, I'd like a cup of co-"

Joy presents him with a coffee cup and a bag, "A black coffee with two sugars and two creams as well as a plain bagel with strawberry cream cheese? Right here."

He glares at her, "You're too smart for your own good."

She looks over to see Lucy talking with Bishop in the hallway.