Chapter 7: Future

Season 1, Episode 7

Joy holds a clipboard as she stands behind Captain Anderson while she gives a fake press conference, "At 11:15 this morning, the LAPD engaged in a pursuit of Number One on FBI's Most Wanted List. All departmental resources were brought to bear on this dangerous fugitive, including our most decorated officer, Kaydence Patton."

They cheer and clap for Kaydence as she walks Joy's dad down the red carpet in handcuffs for Make-A-Wish Cop-for-a-Day celebration. She shoves John over to Grey who catches him.

"On behalf of Make-A-Wish, the City of Los Angeles, and the LAPD, we hereby thank Honorary Police Officer Kaydence Patton," They cheer and applaud for Kaydence as cameras flash.

♡♡♡♡ 

Joy swipes through pictures of her dad in handcuffs, "Can I just say, that was the best day of my life."

"What do you mean? Just because you saw your dad in handcuffs?" Lucy asks, moving to lean over the back of the couch and rest her head on Joy's shoulder, "That made it the best day of your life?"

"Lucy, my whole life, my dad's been this...perfect guy. He was the civilian that stopped a bank robbery and then joined the LAPD. Seeing him in a semi-bad light of being arrested by Honorary Officer Kaydence Patton will be the best thing I've experienced until our wedding or we have kids."

Lucy semi-malfunctions, "Uh, di-did you say our wedding day and we have kids?"

Realizing what she said, Joy shuts off her phone and turns to her girlfriend, "I-I mean, yes? But I can pretend like I didn't if that freaks you out?"

"N-no? I mean, it's logical...to think of next steps in a relationship. I-I mean, we've been tog-together for, what? Almost six months? Oh, look at the time, we're going to be late to work. See you there," Lucy is quick to grab her purse and leave the house.

"But I'm driving you in today," Joy says to the closed door that then opens.

"You're driving me in today," Lucy repeats.

♡♡♡♡ 

Following Grey into roll call, Joy awkwardly avoids eye contact with Lucy as Grey gets everyone's attention, "All right, grab your seats. A special day here at Mid-Wilshire. In fact, we're gonna start off by playing a game I like to call What is a patrol officer's least favorite assignment? Officer Lopez, why don't you get us started."

Angela doesn't even flinch, "Easy. Guarding a dead body."

"Solid one. Officer Bradford," Grey looks to the next TO.

"Canvassing in the rain."

"Bishop."

"Driving the drunk wagon. It's just nasty," She grimaces.

Grey turns back to the front, "Without a doubt. And yet, for me, the absolute worst for me is..." He starts writing on the board, "The VIP ride along."

The officers in the room groan, except for the rookie's, before Joy's dad asks, "Why? That sounds like fun? We're supposed to do ride alongs with Jo-Miss. Nolan anyways."

"Officer Bishop, would you like to inform your boot why the VIP ride along tops my list and is very different from Miss. Nolan's ride along?"

Talia nods, "Because if anything happens to your VIP, it's your ass. Miss. Nolan has been trained in our protocols and, for the most part, knows when to be useful and when to be out of the way. VIP's don't, so you take the lowest of low-risk calls. It makes a 12 hour shift feel twice as long."