Chapter 6: Ride Along

Season 1, Episode 6

Joy hides her laugh as Lucy recounts how Lucy and Tim's shop ended up upside down today, "Listen, I was history teacher, but mathematically, that shouldn't have been possible! Were getting distracted?"

Lucy scoffs, "By what? Bradford? He's an ass."

"True. But he's got pain, behind those eyes. I'm gonna find what it is," Joy says, sipping her beer.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? When you meddle in people's lives, it does not always work out," Lucy tells her.

"When my dad was unhappy back home, I told him to move to LA. Worked out pretty well for me," Joy smirks, leaning forward to kiss Lucy. 

The rookie nods, "That may be true, but I know some of what Tim's hiding. You gotta be careful with those wounds."

The assistant shrugs, smiling, "Don't worry. I'll be careful."

♡♡♡♡

Before roll call, Joy approaches Grey, "I think it's time to implement ride along."

Grey looks up from his paperwork, "You think you're ready to ride in the back of a shop with a TO and rookie pair? Already?"

"I do. I think it is my next step for this job."

"I suppose you already know who you want to ride with?" Grey deadpans, quirking an eyebrow at her.

Joy just smiles before he huffs and nods.

Making their way to roll call, Grey gets their attention, "All right, everybody, sit dow. Got some catching up to do. Let's go." 

They all make their way to their spots, as Joy goes up to the board and writes BRADFORD, BISHOP, and LOPEZ.

Grey ignores her, "First, let's congratulate Officer Chen for allowing her TO to finish his coffee before rolling their vehicle," Laughter and clapping are heard around the room, including from Joy, "I see training is working out for you. All right, more pressingly, midnight shift was flooded with calls last night, and they left us with their mess. Let's get started. Miss. Nolan."

Joy takes out her notepad with the case information needed, "Detectives are working a homicide in Larchmont Village, but there are plenty of witnesses that still need to be interviewed. Bishop and Nolan, you two are on that. And Burglary has a search warrant that patrol didn't get around to. Bradford and Chen, you'll take that."

"Come on," Tim interrupts, "Why can't Burglary serve their own damn warrants?"

"Because they don't have the vim and vigor you have, Officer Bradford," Grey tells him before setting the warrant in front of Lucy, "This is yours."

"All the faces," Joy comments, smirking, "Don't worry," She unfolds her paper to show that it hits the ground, "I have pending calls for everybody. Let's knock them out!"

As Grey starts to dismiss, Angela raises her hand, "Why are our names on the board," She gestures to the other TO's.

Grey laughs, "Right, how we could forget about this. Miss. Nolan, would you like to explain why our TO's names are on the board?"

"Why, yes, Sergeant Grey, I would," Joy grabs a white board marker, "When a Watch Commander or Captain's assistant feels ready, they implement ride along. Which is where the assistant will ride with a TO and their rookie for a few shifts. This morning, I opted to start my rotations. This is how you all will find out who is lucky contestant number one. Any takers?"

None of the TO really fight to be the first so Joy smirks, "Good thing I thought ahead and already picked," She goes up to the board, moving like she was about to circle LOPEZ before quickly circling BRADFORD, "Officers Bradford and Chen, let's go serve that warrant."