❄️🌕🥀🫐Chapter 10🫐🥀🌕❄️

"You didn't say anything about us having to go through the ravine!"

Larkkit crouched down carefully. She stared down as she cramped her claws into the ground. Down there was a narrow but roaring, ice-blue river that meandered foaming between boulders. The water splashed upwards, but Larkkit was far enough up for it to reach her.

"We didn't mean to frighten you," Patternleaf meowed softly. "However, this is the quickest way to camp."

"Won't we crash?" Larkkit whispered, her eyes wide. There was a path halfway up one of the cliff faces. It looked narrow and uneven. In some places the rock hung over, so that a cat had to shimmy along the stone wall underneath to get past it.

"It's dangerous if you're not careful," Heatherwing explained.

That's very encouraging. Larkkit refrained from making this remark. "A-all right, let's go then." At the same time, her paws froze to the ground. There was no way she was going to take another step. She didn't care if it made her a scared mouse.

Amberkit stepped out from behind her. Surprisingly, she seemed much braver than Larkkit, which disturbed her. I have to be brave too!

Palestar took the lead again. "Stay close to the rock," she meowed over her shoulder. "And watch where you put your paws."

Larkkit held her breath as she carefully groped along the path. Amberkit was in front of her, Gooseleap behind her.

On the opposite cliff, waterfalls cascaded into the depths. She wanted to take a closer look, but she was afraid she would be distracted.

The path was still a little wet from the rain, but the sun was already shining brightly again. But not for much longer. It seemed to get darker with every step. It's sunset. My first night in the forest.

Palestar slowed her steps. "We have to climb over the rocks here."

"Over the rock?" Larkkit repeated in a bright voice. She felt as light as a feather with relief when she realised that she didn't have to get past the rocky outcrop as she had imagined.

"Find a pawhold in the cracks with your claws," Palestar explained and jumped onto the rock. At the top she turned round. "It might look risky, but you'll be over there quicker than it looks."

Amberkit had already sunk her small, sharp claws into the rock and was climbing up. Palestar rushed forward and pulled the dark reddish-golden tabby cat up the last bit.

Larkkit didn't like the fact that Amberkit was pretending to be a brave, intrepid she-cat. She had to react quickly so as not to appear weak next to her.