❄️🌕🥀🫐Chapter 22🫐🥀🌕❄️

I was actually chosen for such an important patrol!

If the circumstances that had led to this weren't so tragic, Larkpaw would be jumping around and proclaiming her joy right now. But the memory of the wake was still intense.

Our job is to find out as much as we can. Larkpaw flattened her ears. The thought of seeing her old camp frightened her. Still, she tried not to let it show.

She was surprised that Palestar had sent her and Amberpaw on the patrol. The leader hadn't given any reasons, so both Larkpaw and Amberpaw were left confused.

However, there was no point in speculating further now. With every step she took, she inevitably moved closer to MoonClan territory, and her heart almost seemed to burst.

The thought of seeing Swallowfern again made Larkpaw feel nauseous. The last time she had seen her, she hadn't exactly been friendly. Every time Larkpaw remembered it, she felt terrible.

I wonder if she'll ever forgive me.

The sound of the river grew louder and the forest became thinner. The cats slowed their pace on the slope and finally stopped on the bank. Here they would wait for the next patrol to take them to camp.

Larkpaw's claws itched. She wanted to run straight to the camp, but as Honeyclaw had said, that would seem like a direct accusation.

The apprentice settled down and mindlessly rolled a small pebble between her paws. Cloverleaf died here somewhere. She wondered if her Clanmates were thinking about it too.

She raised her head scrutinisingly and studied the behaviour of her patrol companions. Amberpaw padded restlessly in circles. She kept staring across the river and her nose twitched as if she was searching for familiar scents.

Larkpaw's gaze moved on to Honeyclaw. The light golden tom had his paws tucked under his body. The tip of his tail twitched from time to time, but Larkpaw couldn't tell if it was a sign of nervousness.

As far as she could remember, Honeyclaw had only been deputy for seven moons, which was a comparatively short time.

But before that, he had been a warrior for many leaf-changes. So how many times must he have taken part in such a risky conversation between two Clans to not be nervous at all?

The last two cats on patrol were Stormpool and Brownnose. They also seemed relatively relaxed.

In the next moment, Amberpaw stopped abruptly. She stretched her muzzle forwards and drew in her breath sharply.

It seemed that she had noticed a patrol approaching. Honeyclaw pulled himself to his paws and jumped down the embankment first.

With barely noticeable ruffled fur, the RoseClan cats balanced over the tree trunk that led over to MoonClan territory.