Chapter 2

"Am I pregnant?" She initially couldn't believe it.

How? She was certain that Kaizen was taking birth control pills. "Is it possible for a pill like this to be ineffective?" she asked.

The pharmacist explained that it was indeed possible. Even if both partners were taking the medication, there was still a risk of pregnancy. Astelle listened to the explanation with rapt attention.

It had been about two months since her divorce. She had established a new home in a quiet location and lived alone, but she couldn't completely cut herself off from the outside world's news.

Astelle learned that with the death of the emperor, the empire's peace had vanished. The former gentle and lenient emperor had never attempted to curb the power of the great nobility.

In truth, he lacked both the ambition and the ability to do so.

But Kaizen was different.

It was only after he ascended to the throne that everyone realized how different he was from his predecessor.

A month into his reign, Kaizen uncovered the corruption of Duke Milstad, the weakest among the powerful nobles, and obliterated his family.

Afterward, he continued purging the influential nobles, one after the other. Kaizen was determined to eliminate all the great nobles who posed a threat to imperial power.

He also demonstrated his capability. When the northern high lord incited a rebellion, Kaizen's imperial army quickly quelled it, resulting in the annihilation of the entire family.

Anyone who had been watching with bated breath understood that the days of the former emperor and the delicate balance of power with certain powerful houses were over, without major complications.

From that point onward, imperial politics were divided into two factions: the Emperor's camp, consisting of new bureaucrats who supported Kaizen, and the aristocratic faction of the great nobility. These two factions engaged in fierce political battles.

Naturally, Astelle's father, Duke Reston, became the leader of the great nobles.

"What if I inform him about my pregnancy..."Astelle thought, contemplating her situation.

What will happen to this child?

She was no longer the empress.

However, her child was the emperor's child and the only heir at present. Astelle quickly assessed the situation.

Knowing that she had a child, her father would likely aim to make this child the emperor and become a regent. On the other hand, if Kaizen discovered that her child posed a threat to his rule, he might take measures to eliminate the child.

She couldn't expect either side to genuinely care for or protect the child. Astelle couldn't bear to entrust her child's life to power-hungry men and watch in fear from the sidelines.

She had been abandoned by both the emperor and her father. The child was all she had left.

"It's not the emperor's child, it's my child. I'll ensure their safety and raise them by myself."

Upon learning of her pregnancy, she had contemplated this decision extensively. She had resolved to conceal the child and raise them on her own.

• 🍁 •

Astelle walked helplessly, clutching Theor tightly in her arms. With every step she took, her feet touched dry soil and scattered stones, causing pain to shoot through the soles of her feet.