Chapter 34

While Hannah tended to Theor, Astelle headed to her room to unpack. Positioned in the heart of the annex, her room was accessed through a door adorned with an intricate wooden pattern that ushered in a flood of radiant light upon opening.

Gradually, the room unfolded its grandeur. The expansive reception area greeted her, illuminated by the sunlight streaming through a large arched window. Adjacent to it stood a lavishly decorated restroom and a cozy bedroom. It was a space filled with opulence and brilliance.

The floor boasted elegant pale green marble, while the walls shimmered in cream-colored stone with delicate embossing. The opulent furnishings exuded top-notch quality, surpassing anything Astelle had encountered during her journey here, even outshining Maern Castle where she had previously resided. It truly befitted the name of the Imperial Palace in the East.

As Astelle began to unpack, Hannah knocked on the door.

"Lady Astelle, we've prepared some dessert. Young Master Theor is eagerly waiting."

"Of course, I'll join."

Astelle made her way to the exquisite relaxation room with a view of the garden. Through the window, the radiant garden bathed in the afternoon sunlight unfolded before her eyes, the blades of grass shimmering in a golden hue.

A tea set was arranged on a round table beside the window.

"I've brought some cookies and Mille Feuille, which you might enjoy."

"Thank you, Hannah."

Astelle and Theor sat opposite each other at the table. A fragrant Mille Feuille graced a beautiful white plate.

Astelle pushed a plate and fork toward Theor. "Go ahead, Theor, try one."

Theor's eyes darted excitedly over the Mille Feuille's intricate layers. "This looks amazing."

"Go ahead and try it. It's delicious," urged Hannah.

Carefully wielding his fork, Theor cut a piece, making sure to preserve its shape before tasting it. "Wow! So good!"

"You like it?" asked Astelle.

"It's sweet and delicious!"

Astelle also indulged in the Mille Feuille, savoring the delightful flavors. The sweet aroma of vanilla filled her mouth as the crispy pastry melded with the velvety custard cream infused with a rich vanilla scent.

"Eating this brings back memories of old times," she reminisced. In those days, such treats were part of her daily life within the imperial palace.

Sipping from a pure white mug of milk tea, she found its fragrant and comforting taste pairing perfectly with the Mille Feuille's flavors. The blend of bitter tea and soft milk complemented the pastry's sweetness, soothing away the fatigue accumulated during her journey.

Hannah chuckled softly as she refilled Astelle's empty teacup. "Lady Astelle loves this dessert too."

Astelle smiled faintly and speared another piece with her fork. She was about to finish the last bite when Hannah posed a question. "Are you going back to the Marquis' mansion?"

"Yes, I have to return with my grandfather. And you, Hannah? Will you be ordered back to the capital's imperial palace?" Astelle inquired, her hopes mingling with concerns about their potential separation. She was uncertain about Hannah's future placement, knowing her skills were better suited to the capital's palace.

Hannah, placing the teapot down, responded cheerfully, "No, I wish to stay with Lady Astelle now."

"What?" Astelle's surprise was evident as she met Hannah's gaze, filled with steadfast determination.