Chapter 7

"It's not like that," Vellian reassured Astelle.

Astelle was puzzled and asked, "Pardon?"

Why? She's such a beautiful woman... Is she a bit young to become Kaizen's wife?

Vellian hesitated for a moment, then gathered the courage to ask for a favor. "I... I have something to discuss with you, Lady, if you don't mind."

Astelle agreed, saying, "Yes, Theor, stay here for a while."

She followed Vellian to a quieter corner of the hallway while Theor looked at the statues lining the corridor.

Vellian wore a friendly smile as he began to explain the situation to Astelle. "The details of the late Empress Dowager's will are being kept secret from the public.

It's been almost three months since her passing, and if it's revealed that the inheritance matter hasn't been settled, the Southern Lords may become unsettled. We want to avoid a situation like the one in the North. I implore you to keep this information confidential."

Astelle studied Vellian's innocent face for a moment. It was rather remarkable that the emperor's secretary could maintain such a convincing facade while telling what was an obvious lie.

She knew there couldn't be any rebellion in the South, as it had been under the rule of the imperial emperor for three generations.

She asked, "Is that so? Aren't you concerned about accusations against His Majesty the Emperor?"

Vellian didn't know much about the former empress, Astelle. Her existence had been mostly hidden after her marriage and subsequent divorce.

However, if news of the Empress Dowager's will were to spread, it would draw attention to the former empress, potentially tarnishing the image of the emperor.

People might question, 'Why did the Empress Dowager make such a will when she was dying, especially when the emperor had divorced his wife?'

As Astelle raised these concerns, Vellian's gentle expression briefly hardened. Then, he smiled somewhat awkwardly, his tone shifting. "Haha, it's hard to deceive someone as sharp as you." He admitted softly, "Yes, if word of this gets out, there will be all sorts of rumors. I'll do my best to keep things as discreet as possible."

"Don't bother, because I don't care anyway. I won't be gossiping with anyone, and I'll be heading back as soon as this is over," Astelle assured Vellian.

In truth, she wanted to avoid drawing any unnecessary attention. The evidence of Theor's birth had been handled perfectly, but it was still risky to attract too much notice.

"It's nice to deal with someone who can understand the situation," Vellian replied with satisfaction, bowing his head to Astelle. "Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything before you depart for the capital."

Vellian called for an attendant to guide Astelle and Theor to their assigned room. Astelle took Theor's hand and followed the servant.

Upon arriving at their room, the attendant opened the door, revealing a spacious and opulent space. The floor was covered in marble with intricate lily patterns, and luxurious wooden furniture adorned with gold and silver decorations filled the room.

The centerpiece was a large bed draped in elaborate damask fabric under a canopy. The windows, half-covered with pale rose curtains, displayed exceptionally detailed gold embellishments.

It was a room of stunning beauty and luxury, clearly not something offered to an ordinary guest.

Theor was in awe, having never seen such a splendid place before. He wandered around, examining everything and even touching the sparkling gold ornaments.