Chapter 37

Kaizen was the one who extended the invitation to Astelle initially. As she gazed quietly at him, she felt a hint of remorse.

"I apologize, Your Majesty. If it was just a polite gesture, I won't attend the ball if you prefer."

"That's not what I meant."

His previously bewildered expression faded, replaced by a familiar irritation and anger.

"Do you think I'd pretend to invite you? If you don't want to come, just say so. Why speak in vain..."

His angry words trailed off, gradually losing their strength. A sense of embarrassment washed over him, reflected in the reddened intensity of his eyes.

Astelle remained silent. Throughout their more than decade-long engagement, she had accompanied Kaizen to every ball, dinner, and social gathering as his partner.

She stood by his side countless times in countless banquet halls and ballrooms.

Kaizen always followed social customs, extending his hand to ask Astelle to be his partner during proms. Each time, she accepted with a joyful heart, swept away by his friendly smile and courteous gesture. But deep down, she knew the insincerity behind those gestures.

As Kaizen recalled those moments, bitterness marred his handsome face, a silent remorse etched in his features. His lips moved several times, as if attempting to voice something, yet no words found their way out.

A heavy silence enveloped the hallway, memories of old times acting as unwelcome visitors, creating a distance between them. It was Astelle who eventually broke the silence.

"I'll go to the ball if it's okay with you," she offered, breaking the quiet tension.

Kaizen's eyes widened in surprise as Astelle agreed to attend the ball—an event she didn't typically desire. However, she saw an opportunity in this unexpected situation.

'The ball could be a crucial opportunity.'

Astelle saw it as a chance to be seen by many, to alter perceptions. As she planned to send her grandfather and Theor back home first, she selected a ballroom bustling with guests to ensure she gained permission from the Emperor.

Unaware of her intentions, Kaizen appeared surprised by her decision to attend. He glanced at Astelle briefly before looking away.

"Thank you for attending," he replied, a formal acknowledgment expected from a host greeting their guests at a ball. It felt as though they were already in a ballroom.

Astelle reciprocated with a slight bow of her knee. "It is an honor, Your Majesty."

"Don't make fun of me," Kaizen replied, a hint of something more underlying his words.

At that moment, a sense of clarity dawned on Astelle, followed by a slightly unpleasant response from her.

"It's odd that you always refuse and suddenly accept," came the openly sarcastic tone. Astelle was tempted to refute but chose a quieter reply instead. "It wasn't always about refusing. If the offer had been acceptable, I would have accepted it."

"Are you saying there was a problem with my offer?" Kaizen interrupted, seemingly probing further.

Astelle's response was halted by Theor's cheerful voice cutting through the hallway.

"Aunt Astelle!" Theor, tightly holding his teddy bear, spotted the two and rushed towards them, Blin, following closely.

"Theor, you shouldn't run in the hallway. It's dangerous," Astelle cautioned as Theor clung to her skirt, trying to catch his breath.