Chapter 68

Two days later, Astelle settled in front of her dressing table, a weary figure in a white dress reflected in the mirror. Hannah approached her gently.

"Lady Astelle, let me handle your makeup," she said softly.

Astelle closed her eyes, feeling the weight of exhaustion from the recent events. In a hushed tone, Hannah reassured her, "Don't worry, the marquis and the young master must have left safely."

Astelle nodded, "Yes, I hope so."

Theor and the marquis had departed from the capital two days earlier. Today, Astelle was poised to attend the ball—an event held at the imperial palace's banquet hall under her mother's name, a charity ball at Kaizen's behest.

Initially planned as a modest gathering at the duke's mansion, it had transformed into a grand affair, attracting nobles from all corners of the capital.

Astelle was uncertain about what awaited her at the ball. Regardless, her priority was shielding Theor from any potential aftermath.

Hannah expertly applied makeup, accentuating Astelle's features with a light touch of pink on her lips and powder on her skin, which still bore a pallid hue. The dress she wore was the same one from a previous ball, a garment she had considered selling once she returned home.

It had been tucked away in her luggage as it was custom-tailored for her. Astelle found herself wearing the same dress and shoes from that past occasion.

Astelle, adorned in silk gloves and holding a feather fan handed by Hannah, faced her reflection in the mirror. The image mirrored the night of the ball at Dentsu Castle, a time when she had implored Kaizen to send Theor home, only to face rejection.

Determined not to fail again, Astelle recognized that the dynamics had shifted. Kaizen now knew she was Theor's biological mother, and his anger regarding this revelation was apparent.

The invitation to the ball seemed more like an opportunity for him to exert control and potentially torment Astelle.

Astelle stepped back after completing the preparations.

"Lady Astelle, everything's ready," Hannah announced.

Astelle descended the stairs, accompanied by Hannah. Despite the mansion's proximity to the imperial palace, a carriage had been arranged for formality.

Unexpectedly, someone awaited her downstairs.

"Astelle."

"Brother Fritz?"

Fritz stood at the door in his Guards uniform, a rare sight that took Astelle by surprise. It had been years since she'd seen him dressed like that, unchanged from six years ago when she last saw him in such attire.

"What brings you here?" Astelle asked, genuinely puzzled.

"I came to accompany you to the ball," Fritz responded calmly.

"You're going with me?" Astelle questioned, taken aback.

"Yes," came Fritz's swift and resolute reply. He went on to explain, "I don't have a partner. If you'd allow me, I'd like to be your companion."

Astelle, slightly surprised, understood the situation. The ball's official organizer was the Reston family. The initial dance had to be initiated by the Duke, Fritz, or herself, given their single status. As the only heir to the Duke of Reston, Fritz was used to female attention, but now, he seemed unaccompanied, likely due to Reston's diminished influence.

"Shall we meet at the ballroom, then?" Astelle said, suggesting they would see each other at the event.

"I'd prefer to go with you," Fritz admitted without hesitation, adding, "The ballroom is nearby, just a short walk. But it might be tough in such a heavy dress."