Chapter 48

"I apologize, Your Majesty," Astelle gracefully bowed and expressed her regret.

"It's been quite some time since I attended a ball, and I fear my dancing skills have grown rusty. I wouldn't wish to disrespect Your Majesty with a subpar performance. Please accept my sincere apologies."

Astelle's demeanor, from her expression to her tone, exuded utmost politeness, yet her refusal was unmistakable. The banquet hall was enveloped in an uneasy silence, as if a sudden chill had swept through the room.

The unexpected scenario left everyone speechless. The emperor, known for his aloofness, had unexpectedly requested a dance from the former empress whom he had divorced, and her cold rejection sent shockwaves through the assembled guests.

Astelle found herself equally taken aback by the sudden turn of events.

Why the sudden insistence?

She had attended the ball with the intention of seeking permission before a public audience, not to partake in a dance with Kaizen.

'I truly detest such situations,' she thought to herself.

Yet, Kaizen, unfazed, locked eyes with Astelle and persisted, "Skills don't matter to me."

Astelle attempted to express her reluctance, "I might falter again. I hope you understand."

"Are you brave enough to refuse my offer?" Kaizen's gaze was unwavering.

In response, Astelle gracefully dipped into a curtsy, lowering her head respectfully. "I apologize, Your Majesty."

Her refusal was resolute.

Astelle felt a twinge of anxiety. Her initial plan to request permission regarding Theor's return had taken an unexpected turn.

'What if Kaizen becomes upset and leaves?' she worried silently.

However, Kaizen remained rooted in his place, persisting in his efforts and extending his hand to Astelle once more. "Even if I earnestly request?"

Astelle was taken aback, noticing the sincerity in his intense red gaze. She had anticipated his anger and departure, yet Kaizen's determination implied he wouldn't relent until she accepted.

Surrounding whispers reached Astelle's ears, causing her discomfort. She hesitated, feeling uneasy about repeatedly refusing the emperor in front of everyone.

She bit her lip, grappling with the situation. Rejecting the emperor's persistent requests in such a public setting didn't seem appropriate. Her priority, above all, was to secure the permission she sought.

'I have no choice.'

"I might step on Your Majesty's feet."

"It doesn't matter."

'I'd really like to step on you.' Astelle hesitated, then slowly placed her hand in Kaizen's extended one.

"Thank you."

Kaizen's tone hinted at sarcasm.

Silently, Astelle took his hand and moved to the center of the ballroom. Amidst the hush, a sweet melody began, the sound of a waltz filling the room.

'In the end...'

Astelle wasn't fond of the music; waltzes brought two people too intimately close for her liking.

The initial steps of the dance commenced under the attentive gaze of the crowd.

As the music enveloped the room, Kaizen's firm grip guided Astelle gracefully. Her steps mirrored his, exhibiting a calm and composed demeanor, every movement exuding an elegant yet restrained poise.