Chapter 5

The eye-color changing potion had proven safe during Astelle's daily testing over the past few years, causing no pain or side effects. However, its drawback was its short duration, lasting only about half a day before the effects faded.

Astelle carefully weighed her options as she held the potion, considering that it should suffice until she reached the capital.

After that, she would need to create it herself, which was entirely feasible. Astelle had acquired knowledge of herbalism while assisting Gretel and had learned to craft various potions. With the right ingredients, she could concoct the eye-color changing potion.

Her plan was to request Kaizen's permission to send Theor home first, allowing her to meet her maternal grandfather halfway.

Suddenly, the rattling wagon came to a halt. Astelle concealed the potion in her arms.

"What's happening?" she inquired.

"We're taking a short break. You can step out of the wagon," one of the attendants replied.

Theor, awakened by the conversation, sat up. His sleepy eyes still held their blue hue.

"Are you hungry? Shall we go outside?" Astelle asked.

"I want to go outside!" Theor exclaimed.

Trapped inside the carriage, the cycle of sleep and wakefulness had become rather dull for the young boy. He attempted to slide down to the carriage floor to put on his shoes immediately.

"All right. Let's go out and explore a bit. I'll even give you a snack," Astelle promised.

"Yeah!" Theor eagerly agreed.

Astelle gently placed shoes on the little feet, picked up a small basket she had prepared earlier, and opened the carriage door. Knights and soldiers had gathered along the roadside, chatting with each other or taking a break, grabbing bottles of water as they did so.

It was hard to determine how far they had come from the town where she had been staying. It appeared that the rain had passed through this area earlier that morning.

Astelle took Theor's hand and strolled along the path beside the forest road. The child's little fingers grasped her hand, and they walked along the path, where dew-kissed blades of grass sparkled in the sunlight.

The road was adorned with wildflowers and bathed in the fresh morning air, tinged with the scent of lush grass. A brown-haired knight who had noticed their departure was following them, his face displaying a grave demeanor.

"Lady, please don't wander too far," he advised earnestly.

This knight was dressed in the uniform of a knight commander but had a youthful appearance, appearing to be around 30 years old. Even his soft, light brown hair looked somewhat familiar to Astelle. She soon recognized him.

"Sir Lyndon? Are you Sir Lyndon?"

Lyndon blinked in surprise. Astelle responded with a calm smile.

"You've been by His Majesty's side for a long time. How could I forget you?"

Lyndon was quietly impressed. When the current emperor was the crown prince, Lyndon had been a junior knight with no significant status. Despite his skills, he struggled to gain recognition due to his modest background.

It wasn't until Kaizen ascended the throne that he was able to rise through the ranks and become an aide to the emperor.

Lyndon hadn't anticipated that Astelle would remember him. Back then, she was Astelle von Reston, the prince's fiancee and a highly regarded princess. While Lyndon harbored resentment toward Duke Reston, he had never felt any ill will toward Astelle.