Chapter 3 - Midnight Bonding Sessions

Night descended quickly upon the city life of Coruscant. But as always, the city never slept. The lights from passing speeders were bright in the darkness as I sat on the edge of the balcony, my legs draped over the ledge. Everyone going about their business, lost in their own lives. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds, letting the peacefulness of the scene wash over me. I sensed his presence before he even opened his mouth to speak.

"You seem calm," Anakin commented from behind me, his voice soft in the stillness.

Not turning around to face him, I shrugged slightly, "I usually am when I'm not dealing with you,"

I could practically feel the eye-roll aimed in my direction as he walked over to where I stood. Leaning his elbows on the ledge, he gazed out at the line of traffic racing by. Unlike myself, Anakin had been raised in a totally different atmosphere. I always got the sense that he didn't completely feel as if he belonged here. However, Coruscant would always feel like home to me. The Jedi brought me here when I was only four years old yet vague memories of my previous life remained in my mind. Just flashes really - a woman's dark hair and red scarf, silver-plated armor, a deep laugh and warm arms...

Anakin drew me out of my reverie and back to the conversation, "I am...sorry that I snapped at you...it's just...being around her again is-"

A huff bubbled up in my throat but I tamped it down, cutting him off, not unkindly as I faced him, "-it's hard, I know. She was your childhood crush, Ani. Don't we all have those?"

Anakin arched an eyebrow at me, a playful smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Yeah? Then who was yours?"

I flushed crimson and shook my head, my Padawan braid bouncing over my shoulder.

"I never said that I had one,"

"Actually, you did,"

"Other people have crushes, I do not, okay? That's attachment - it's forbidden anyhow,"

"Are you implying I have attachments?"

"I'm not implying anything, I'm merely stating the facts,"

"You're always stating the facts," Anakin pointed out.

"Yeah, like what?" I shot back, arching an eyebrow at him.

"Like the fact that everyone has crushes, therefore admitting your own guilt at having what you deem an 'attachment'." he beamed over at me triumphantly.

His words left me speechless and I scoffed as he began to laugh at my reaction. But Anakin Skywalker had always had an infectious laugh and I couldn't help but join in, a slow grin melting into a round of laughter from the both of us.

Obi-Wan strode in from the elevator at that moment, "Captain Typho has more than enough men downstairs. No assassin would try that way. Any activity up here?"

Smiling, I turned my gaze back to the skyline as they talked before a comfortable silence fell over the three of us. It was little moments like these that I felt truly connected to the two Jedi and not like an outsider forced to tag along. A twinge of pain bloomed in my chest at the sudden memory of Master Kinza that resurfaced at the thought. But just then through the Force, I could feel Anakin sending me calming waves of peace. My dark eyes shifted, connecting with his ocean gaze and I returned the smile I found there on his lips. But the smile Anakin wore melted away as his own thoughts seemed to drag him under.

"You look tired," I commented softly, concern evident in my tone.

The city lights lent an ethereal glow to the strands of his blond hair and his blue eyes were haunted, swimming in a sadness I could relate to more than I cared to admit.

Glancing away from me, he answered quietly, "I don't sleep well, anymore,"

"Because of your mother?" Obi-Wan asked from where he stood, arms crossed over his chest.

Slowly, Anakin nodded and shook his head in confusion, "I don't know why I keep dreaming about her..."

"Dreams pass in time," Obi-Wan assured him gently.

I shook my head in response to that, "You can't say that for certain, Obi-Wan. Dreams are interpretive at best and hazy at worst. And sometimes still, no matter the truth of them, they can wreak havoc on your waking hours."

Anakin sent me a grateful nod before sighing and shaking his head, "I'd much rather dream of Padme. Just being around her again is...intoxicating,"

I frowned at this statement, the change in subject leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

"Mind your thoughts, Anakin, they betray you. You've made a commitment to the Jedi Order... a commitment not easily broken..." Obi-Wan reminded him.

"Obi-Wan's actually right this time. If you chose to go down that path, you'd be giving up your whole life for her...but would she give up hers for you?" I countered, arching my eyebrows to emphasize my point.

Obi-Wan hummed his agreement, "...and don't forget she's a politician. They're not to be trusted."

A deep sigh escaped my mouth as their conversation veered over into the realm of politics as most of their discussions often did and I tuned out, watching the traffic go by. It wasn't until I began to sense a disturbance in the Force that I hopped off the ledge and made my way over to the guys.

"I think he's a good man. My-" Anakin cut himself off abruptly, whipping his head around.

"I sense it, too." Obi-Wan muttered.

The three of us took off racing towards Padme's bedchamber as fast as we could, knowing something was amiss. Anakin and I activated our lightsabers and the luminescence of sapphire and sunshine gold lit up the horrifying scene before us. A pair of large, plump Kouhuns were on either side of a sleeping Padme, poised to attack her with their venomous stingers. Using our Jedi reflexes to propel us forward, Anakin sliced one in half while I made short work of the other. Padme bolted upright with a sharp gasp just as Obi-Wan took a daring dive through the window, shattered pieces crashing to the floor as he was whisked through the air gripping onto a drone for dear life.

I glanced over at Anakin and deadpanned, "Obi-Wan has way more fun than us."