Chapter 13 - Business & Pleasure

As the Naboo Royal Starship touched down on the sandy world of Tatooine, a smile split my face. Finally, I was going to visit Anakin's home planet. Padme, noticing my exuberant expression, arched one eyebrow and smiled over at me.

"What are you so happy about?" she asked, lifting her arms so that I could slip the baby blue dress over her head.

Having not brought a handmaiden with her, I had taken it upon myself to help the Senator. In part out of friendship and partly just because I loved to raid Padme's expansive closet. However, this time, she had chosen a less ostentatious gown - something a bit more low-key in order to blend in with the crowd. It was still lovely, though, the dress itself split in two parts to showcase her midriff, the train of it ending in a cape dusted with light silver sparkles and the rest falling across her feet.

"Tatooine has been on my bucket-list for a long time now. I love hot climates," I replied before standing back to admire the beautiful gown, sending her a smile, "Lovely as always, Padme,"

"You're too kind to me, Jetta," Padme returned with a smile of her own before tilting her head slightly, "But what about you? You can still borrow one of my gowns if you like,"

Shrugging, I remembered Anakin's reaction to her other dress and internalized a sigh before replying, "I don't know...I don't think dresses are for me. They have...adverse consequences..."

Padme shot me a wondering look but before she could ask, I continued, "Of course, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about since you had your own adverse reaction from a certain Senator,"

This last was said pointedly and Padme blushed scarlet and shook her head with a laugh.

"I don't think the gown had anything to do with that incident,"

"Oh yeah? So Vas usually knocks over his Ruby Bliel when another senator walks in the room? Or stumbles over every word in his known vocabulary to lavish compliments on said fellow senator?"

Padme hit me on the arm slightly and I ducked away, laughing to myself as I left her to locate her cloak. Soon, after I had slipped my own worn brown cloak over my head, the three of us convened at the door. The smothering heat hit my face as soon as we stepped outside and I allowed my dark eyes to adjust to the dim docking bay. Quickly, Anakin found us a rickshaw that seated three and helped Padme and myself aboard as R2 rolled along behind. Anakin's leg was pressed against my own, making me feel more than a little uncomfortable. It was unfortunate I hadn't asked Padme to change seats with me.

As the silver droid up ahead drove us over the dusty streets, I surveyed the arid landscape surrounding me. Admittedly, it wasn't much to look at. Sand stretched out as far as the eye could see, the air so hot it created a mirage of water in the distance. Dotting every available space was market stalls, shops, and houses. In the distance, I could just make out a towering apartment complex I could only assume were slave quarters. I blanched at the sight, a part of me still unable to comprehend that some planets still held onto the barbaric practice of slavery. With all the Senate had been able to accomplish, you'd think they would put more time and funds into helping those in the Outer Rim.

Glancing to my left, I could see the expression of revulsion mixed with resignation on Anakin's face. Clearly, this was the last place he truly wanted to be. In fact, if it wasn't for his mother still living here, he probably would never have returned at all. The thought of his mother sent a pang to my chest then, my heart aching for Anakin. I truly hoped we would find her safe and sound. Attachments may be against the Jedi Code but this was entirely different - she was his family.

After several minutes, Anakin signalled for the droid to stop, evidently seeing a landmark familiar to him. Jumping down from the rickshaw, he turned back with his hand held out to assist me.